Whole herd for $3650? Good deal?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by allenslabs, Oct 11, 2006.

1. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

A guy said he would sell me his whole herd for $3610 or 50 I can't remember. That is a reg 100% buck, 7 kids ( 2 bucks and 5 does that are REALLY pretty and flashy), 10 unbred does (one is red and huge) that are ready to breed and really nice and then 4 mommas that have the babies on em, 1 just lost her baby and then 2 due soon. All are boer and a couple of the does are reg and then all the babies would be reg 50% but would be pretty much pure. I told him I would be happy to take em and would try to get em gone this weekend so that means major moving stuff around here! I thought I had another week till that sale! HAHA!! What do you all think???

2. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

That's about $250 per goat? I'd consider it, but I'd have them looked at.

Ruth

3. allenslabs

No that's $190 per head and that's momma plus babies and then 190 for open and bred and the buck. He was wanting $250 per head anyways before but I told him I'd have to think on it. And of the mommas 3 have all does and that's 5 doe kids on em.

4. allenslabs

Oh and I did look at em. They're all nice and tame and really healthy looking. The bucks feet are really bad but that's about the only one. There's a couple paint does in there and a red one. They look really nice.

5. Faithful Heart

Faithful Heart Well-Known Member

Erased my post....never mind. :)

6. mammawof3

mammawof3 Well-Known Member

How many total? At a "sale"-you would pay around $200 a piece-maybe a bit more for the buck..alot less for the kids. Just remember..in actuality they are worth $1.10 a pound :rolleyes: Doesn't sound like a bad start. Is the buck really BIG and Muscular?? You want fast growing kids! Sounds like you are into Boers now! :) I love color!!

7. moosemaniac

I'd love a couple of black and white pied boer cross does!

Ruth

8. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Make sure they are disease free, particularly from CL (abcesses). Also, why is he selling them? Is there no market? But overall, I would say the price is about right...depending on your area. Do make sure he is not some sort of fly by night type though.

9. Cygnet

Cygnet Well-Known Member Supporter

Will you be able to get HAY for them this winter?

10. Faithful Heart

Faithful Heart Well-Known Member

Good point! That is the main reason MANY people around here are selling all or most of their herds. No hay!

11. moosemaniac

Wow. Lots of hay available around here.

Ruth

12. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

We sold all our cattle (heartbreaking) and are selling all but one of our donkeys because there is NO HAY! I am practically giving away a registered fullblood Boer buck and will be down to two horses....it's really bad here.

We will will be down to 7% of our large animal herd. We will keep most of the goats, but so far we have no hay, we go out and spend an hour and a half each day cutting browse and throwing it to them and will do so all winter. We are hoping to find at least a few square bales to feed them during the very coldest of the cold spells when browse in their tummies will not generate enough heat....also, we have none for bedding and kidding pens. We had a few round bales left from last winter but the neighbors starving cattle broke in and ate it....he can't replace it because there is no hay!

We can't afford $100. per round bale when it was 25 last year (this is poor grass hay, not alfalfa)......but I am an optimist, believe it or not, we will find some....we have a couple of neighbors that will help us if we ask, but we would be taking hay from their starving animlas mouths.

Sorry, thread drift....

13. Milk n' Honey

Milk n' Honey Well-Known Member

That's 25 goats right? That would be $146 each or are you not including the kids in the price? That sounds like a decent deal if they are really healthy and meaty. I'd want the buck to be heavily muscled if I were going to used him. What you'd have is mainly a commercial herd so make sure you have a market for the meat. At least know where the nearest slaughter house is that you can sell the wethers to or you'll be in a mess!! Hopefully it isn't too far or you'll spend a lot of gas money to get them there. If you'd could market locally, that would be great! I hope it works out for you!! Let us know how it goes!! BTW, I love the paints. Send pics if you get them!!