Whole grains rock!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by edjewcollins, Jan 13, 2005.

1. edjewcollins

edjewcollins Well-Known Member

Hello all,
    I just found a source for whole grains by the pound in my area and purchased a few different kinds. Right now I just cook them stovetop and add them to soups, stews, salads and such. My next step will be to get a grinder and use them to bake bread. So far I have tried Bulgar wheat and Millet. I really liked the Bulgar, but am not to thrilled about the Millet. I was hoping some of you would have advice on what types of whole grains are best tasting and some preperation advice. I don't need advice on bread yet, but will repost when I do.

Thanks,
    Ed

2. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

Frankly, that is a pretty broad topic to provide ideas! LOL! One of my favorite books on this topic is "The Book of Whole Grains" by Marlene Anne Bumgarner. It goes through each grain and gives info about it and then recipes using that grain. I'm sure there are other books as well. I'd see if you can do an internet search listing different whole grains, list the ones you think you'd like to try and then search again for that grain and the word recipe. I suspect you'll be overwhelmed with ideas.

3. Deb&Al

Deb&Al Well-Known Member

hi edje

cooking with whole grains is such a taste experience, i agree. i couldn't believe how good bread could taste, until a friend gave me a loaf of bread made from wheat berries. plain bread, but it was the most tastiest thing i had eaten in decades. i haven't bought store bread since. LOL

i agree about the millet. also, quinoa. to me, they are very bland. i make them once in a while and usually add the cooked grains to things like meatloaf, or in a vegetable casserole. however, they do have good food value, so i have them on hand for that.

there is also a grain called teff. it is the tiniest grain, like pepper, almost. i haven't used it yet, but i saw it at the whole foods store and got some.

keep us posted on your endeavors.

debbie

4. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

I too am excited about this thread. I bought a hand powered grain mill and have ground my own wheat, but haven't yet investigated other grains. My
    winter project.

If i try something, i'll let you know.

5. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

6. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

My new favorite is steel cut oats, cooked 1:3 with water until tender, about 15-20 minutes. In a bowl with brown sugar and a little cream, there's nothing more satisfying.

7. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

Overnight Oatmeal.

One cup of bulgar or steel cut oats
    Four cups of water
    1/2 cup milk (we use vanilla soy milk)
    A couple spoonsful of brown sugar
    1/2 cup of raisins or other dried fruits
    A shake of cinnamon

Cook it in the crockpot on low for 8-10 hours.

YUMMMMMYYY!

8. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

I cook millet with milk (ok need a double boiler, or carefuly in the microw) and raisins and it's a favorite with me. Re bread I'm still unable to get a light enough texture with 100% whole grain. My fav loaf is 1/2 white bread flour, 1/4 whole wheat (I grind it) and 1/4 preboiled mix of whole grains incl millet and sometiems sesame and poppy seeds tossed in.