Whole grain in feed?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by sugarspinner, Dec 17, 2005.

1. sugarspinner

sugarspinner Well-Known Member

Anyone have experience feeding whole corn and oats (rather than ground or rolled) in a goat ration? Assuming you add molasses and beet fiber or some such, do your animals do as well on the whole grain? If none passes through, undigested :eek: , could one assume that it is being utilized efficiently? The cost difference would be considerable.

2. crazygoatgirl

crazygoatgirl Well-Known Member

Feeding whole grains are not bad. I highly suggest though that you do not feed whole corn. Whole corn is very hard on teeth and can even break teeth. I feed steel cut corn in my ration. With steel cut you reduce the chances of mycotoxin poisoning because it is not crushed and kinda seals itself off from the mycotoxins. Rolled corn is about the same as chopped corn it leaves alot of area for mycotoxins.
    I feed whole oats and the goats love them. I also feed black oil sunflower seeds and they ae great for coat conditioning and to keep some extra weight on does that are milking or does that are feeding multiple kids.
    Also I try to avoid molasses because my goats are not fond of it and they eat the feed with less to no molasses better.
    I do feed beet pulp though. It is a great source of fiber and energy.

3. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

Whole oats are good for goats. My goats like them. Where I live, they have become more expensive than sweet feed, so I haven't been feeding them lately.

4. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I feed a mix of whole oats, whole wheat, beet pulp, and whole corn, which is then mixed with alfalfa pellets. No molasses. No sign of undigested feed. Oats are the dominate part of the grain mix. I just wish I could get barley....

Meg

5. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Pay a little more and buy the oats, sweet feed is just molassesed by products, when you feed oats every bite is carbs, protein and energy with fat mixed in...every bit of sweet feed just adds more and more acid to the rumen, contians the most inferior parts of the grain and has very little nutritional value, why it can be soo cheap.

Using whole corn in the diet will wear down the molars in your goats way to quickly, with goats life expectancy in the early teens, you don't want to do this to productive does. Bucks and animals destined for meat are fine, they will be sterile or butchered before the corn becomes a concern. Also don't use deer corn, make sure it is mycotoxin free, and comes from a clean reputable source, like buy your hay. Vicki