Homesteading Forum banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

· Registered
585 Posts
My wife has been keeping chickens for 30 years now.
We have never sold our eggs, what we don’t eat we share with neighbors, and folks that help us in a number of ways.
Even when we were getting 4 dozen a day.

· I calls em like I sees em
14,219 Posts
What I want to know, are meat chickens immune to avian flu or something? It just seems fishy that enough laying hens have been depopulated to quadruple the price of eggs yet the price of chicken in the meat case hasn't changed. And chickens start laying at 16 weeks so it shouldn't take this long to repopulate the flocks. Something just doesn't smell right.

Reactions: Redlands Okie

· Registered
4,931 Posts
What I want to know, are meat chickens immune to avian flu or something? It just seems fishy that enough laying hens have been depopulated to quadruple the price of eggs yet the price of chicken in the meat case hasn't changed. And chickens start laying at 16 weeks so it shouldn't take this long to repopulate the flocks. Something just doesn't smell right.
I'm curious, are the meat chickens you're getting at the stores freshly killed and raw or are they frozen or previously frozen?

· Registered
I'm on lifetime homesteading project number 5, all in Indiana and Michigan.
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I'm curious, are the meat chickens you're getting at the stores freshly killed and raw or are they frozen or previously frozen?

Next time you're in the supermarket, ring up the meat department guy and ask him. Feel free to let us know what he says.

· Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Hatch to slaughter is only 8 weeks for a broiler. Look closely. The price of chicken is way up, too. Maybe we better have the USDA and the FTC look into price gouging by Big Egg and Big Rooster.

· Expect the unexpected
2,737 Posts
I wish they would stop pointing fingers at the egg farmers.
They have a right to get paid for their costs to make eggs.

I wish some of these people doing the screaming would go
work a day on a egg farrm. Maybe they would learn a few things.

What about the middle man....the stores......I don't see fingers
pointing their direction. And they too, need to cover their costs and labor.

· Registered
4,931 Posts
Next time you're in the supermarket, ring up the meat department guy and ask him. Feel free to let us know what he says.
I'm not phoning long distance to a foreign country to ask the question when it's more easily answered online here for free.

I've worked in the meat departments in a couple of supermarkets and farmer's market butcher shops here and I already know how it works here. Sold fresh killed, previously frozen, and frozen. But that's here where I live and our laws are different, not necessarily the same as the laws in your foreign country.

Do you seriously not know the answer to the question?

· Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I'm not phoning long distance to a foreign country to ask the question when it's more easily answered online here for free.

I've worked in the meat departments in a couple of supermarkets and farmer's market butcher shops here and I already know how it works here. Sold fresh killed, previously frozen, and frozen. But that's here where I live and our laws are different, not necessarily the same as the laws in your foreign country.

Do you seriously not know the answer to the question?

I don't shop at your grocery or at mocow's grocery. Good plan not to phone a foreign country.

· Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
January 30, 2023 wholesale egg prices Midwest large 3.05-3.09, mostly 3.02-3.05. The price is still very high, but way down from what it was. Kroger today in Greencastle, IN had large at 3.69.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts