Who says cows aren't comic relief??

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by allenslabs, Apr 16, 2005.

1. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

Well surely not me!! HAHA!! Tonight while my hubby was in the kitchen making his hamburger I was picking up after our two year old. Now you have to consider a couple of things to consider this story as funny as I did. One~ It was pitch dark outside. Two~ My hubby is a very mellow guy. Doesn't say a whole lot or cuss or anything.

Anyway I was like I said picking up after our son when I heard him speak and so I looked up and he had this look like he was puzzled on his face and he said "Ho-ly sh**! There's a cow in the window!!" So I jumped up and looked. Sure enough..... there was my beautiful Annie peeking in the window!! HAHA!! It was hard to see as it was dark and there were shadows and of course a screen to see through. Almost looked like she wasn't there but the more you looked...... yep she was!! HAHA!! So I got my milk stuff as I needed to go out anyway and walked out and they came runnin and buckin across the yard heels up high as they knew what was going on!
    I have been laughing about that most of the night I tell ya. Her and Sarah had rubbed on a gate and it must have came open and so they took advantage. Silly things. I just had to share that as I was just so amused! HAHA!!

2. cloverfarm

cloverfarm Well-Known Member

Kind of a shock, isn't it, when something as big as a cow is out of place!

Words I hate to hear ... MIL yelling in the phone "THE COWS ARE OUT!" It happened last week ... turned out to be just one 500-pound calf but he was pretty squirrelly and the funny part was me in my sweats and MIL in her curlers making big circles aroudn teh big barn at the home place to get the dumb thing in. But we were NOT going to go get the men out of the field to help us. 9-1-1 for heart failure, maybe, but no way were we going to interrupt the sacred ritual of spring plowing!

3. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

:haha: That is too cute. We have a Longhorn Steer named Hombre and he is always doing something funny. When my husband put up the electric fence, he went out the next morning and Hombre had pulled the electric line out of the outlet and chewed it up, but had it in a fairly straight line. One day the door bell rang and some guy tells me that there is a cow outside with something blue on his head. Hombre had stuck his horns in a blue tarp on my dog pen, wrapped it round and round his head like a turban. The lady who lives next to our cow area called one day, said, "Our boy needs some help" and he had one of those old timey metal chairs in his horns and couldn't get it off. Another time it was a water hose. Then one time he got in my greenhouse and couln't get out because his horns kept hitting the door way. He had smashed pots everywhere. He is 1640 pounds now, and his horns are 52" across. Yes, we love our animals, don't we? They bring such joy to our lives.

4. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Several weeks ago we put the donkey in the barnyard. Well she has sorta learned how to deal with the cows. However, as anyone who has cows know, cows use their heads to make their way, whether its pushing each other, or playing. Well one of the heifers went up to the donkey, butted her in the @$$, this to the heifer was like butting heads, BAD IDEA! So the heifer takes off after the donkey, at times lifting the donkey's grits in the air. Now this one heifer keeps on popping the donkey in the butt, and the donkey keeps trying to kick to fend her off. Eventually she stopped, but she brought on a crowd, and they kept on chasing her. I tried to break it up, eventually I did, but that donkey was getting ticked. Now, another funny thing, they will run up and bang into her, last night one of them was hitting the donkey. She stood there, as if to say "ill wait till you stop, then go back to eating". I don't think the cows have figured out what to do, because she will nip at them, kick if being bothered. Yet she also seems to enjoy the company. Now, the Jersey who she made friends with came up the other day. The donkey stood behind her, because she knew they wouldn't tango with the Jersey. Those donkeys are smart, but have a very odd personality, evilish side to them (bite at the ones who bug). Either way, that whole lifting the donkey's grits in the air was hilarious.

Jeff

5. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

Although it doesn't relate to cattle some of my funniest memories are of helping our friend out on his sheep farm. A nice Christian man he is, always going 100 mph and never has enough hours in the day to do what he needs to get done so needless to say he has a very short fuse. One afternoon he and I were planning on moving sheep across the highway and to do so you have to corner the sheep near the gate, wait for the SO to come stop traffic, and then run the sheep across the road ~ fairly simple, right? Well, this particular afternoon we got the sheep to the corner and he yelled at his BC 'down' because it was too close to the llama and that's a sure way for the llama to leave the flock after the dog. Poor BC didn't down instantly so of course the llama took off. Temper blown we took off in the truck after the llama, good Christian man shouting every obscenity in the book. We chased that llama around the entire sheep yard, around and around and around a big round bale. I'm sitting in the passenger seat holding on for dear life and trying NOT to laugh. After what seemed to be the 5th trip around that bale he finally SLAMS on the brake and screams at me to get his pistol! (Now, trying even HARDER not to laugh!) He gets out of the truck and *bam* *bam* *bam*. By this time I'm a bit frightened that he literally shot his llama and the poor thing would be out there kicking his last and the animal lover in me was really scared for the poor thing. Good ol' Christian man gets back in the pickup and apologizes for losing control and I sit there dead silent still not knowing if the llama was dead or what. Finally, he puts the truck in first and off we go, and I finally see the llama none the worse running back to his sheep. Needless to say this is one (of many) stories that I will NEVER forget!

6. astrocow

astrocow Well-Known Member

We live in a very very small hamlet and a couple of years ago during mass in the local church a couple of goats were peeking in the church windows at the parishiners during mass. They were two billy goats named Billy Bob and Billy Joe.
    Leigh

7. Ksar

Ksar Member

Hello everyone, I'm new here.
    I know Allenslabs from another site, Hi ya...LOL, I bet DH was shocked. LOL aren't cows hilarious at times?
    Molly(my cow) had a fit once when my mother came over in a car she had not seen before. She immediately went over to the car and licked and slobbered the hood and doors. Then she walked around to my kitchen windows, where she stood for 3 hours peering in the window watching our every move. When my mom left the show was over and Molly strolled back to the pasture. Who needs a guard dog? I have guard cows and goats, and a pig that will definately tell on you, if your not suppose to be in the yard.

Ksar

8. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

Oh these stories are hilarious!!! I just love my critters. They make life so enjoyable. HEHE!!

9. melwynnd

melwynnd living More with Less!

And people who don't know ask if it's BORING in the country, tied down to your animals! :haha:

Sherry