Who Remembers?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by heelpin, Jun 9, 2004.

1. heelpin

heelpin Well-Known Member

Does anybody remember these things of past farm life?

Singletree
    Georgia Stock
    Gee Wiz
    Sweep
    Whole shovel
    Trace chain
    Run Around
    Lay by

2. cloverfarm

cloverfarm Well-Known Member

I remember my dad talking about trace chains, single- and double-trees. Since we live in an Amish/Mennonite area, we also hear about eveners for larger groups of horses, and fore-carts to put in front of grain wagons, manure spreaders and other implements. (When scanning the classifieds around here, if you see a horse advertised as "not kid-broke" or "no ladies horse" look out!)

My dad also used to talk about sticking and tying bales, when hay balers used wire.

some terms seem very regional, too. We talk about flakes of hay out of small squares but a friend from upstate NY would talk about feeding the horses so many "sleeves" of hay

Very interesting ...
    Ann

3. Kathy in MD

Kathy in MD Well-Known Member Supporter

Well Gee Wiz, I have a Sweeper I Run Around the Whole house with. I get so tired I have to Lay By the Singletree outback and drink my Georgia Stock of Mint Julips.
    Seriously as one of our lawn ornaments is a large shovel (2½ X 2½) that has long wooden handles and some kind of hitch on it. My husband said it was used to dig house foundations using horses to pull the shovel.

4. Bret F

Bret F Well-Known Member

I remember trace chains and single & double trees.

Dad had mules. One was broke to harness, and one wasn't. We hooked them up to the wagon with Dad on the wagon and I was on the tractor in front of them, keeping them in line until Dad thought they were ready to go. And go they did. We had to fix two neighbors mail boxes that day. We used them to pull the wagon when we put up hay a lot after that. Nothing like a couple ton of hay to work the nonsense out of the green broke one.

After that we did some log skidding with real good results.

Then Dad decided to try mowing hay with them. Once the mower started clacking, it scared the mules, so they went faster. The faster they went, the louder the mower was, the faster the mules ran. Dad was making some pretty fast passes until the sicle bar and tongue broke and he had to drive them into the corner of the field. We never tried that again.

5. Wanda

Wanda Well-Known Member

Kathy
    Your lawn ornament with handles is a ''slip scraper'' a very tiring tool at the best, if you raise the handles to high and take a big bite, it would give you a flip in the lip :D
    Mr. Wanda
    Mike

6. these are things that I use on the homestead day in and out.Whats this idea that theyre from the past?????