Who remembers 'Scripto' pens ?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by moopups, Dec 25, 2006.

1. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    They has a rubber bladder that was activated by an outside lever, to suck up ink from a liquid source. The more modern models were equipped with a cylinder of ink in a plastic container, the ink head was screwed into the cylinder to produce hours of writing. Via puncturing the cylinder.

Just a desire to create a documentation for history buffs in the future. Too much is lost to modern historians by non documentation.

2. kentuckyhippie

kentuckyhippie Well-Known Member Supporter

I loved those pens. Now a good fountain pen costs big big bucks. I still use one of the ones that uses the ink cartridge that you poke the hole in but the ink is getting harder and harder to find

3. wr

wr Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Funny, I still think of a fountain pen as being an elegant way to write. My doctor still uses one for writing prescriptions and he's technically not all that old.

4. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

And as kids the bladder style pens were messy with someone occasionally spilling their bottle of ink. Of course the bottle had a "well" toward the top on one side and would fill when you tipped the bottle to do so. The pen would be filled from this well.

Later the same well was used by kids to refill the so called disposable plastic cylinders. They could be refilled several times before the sides would crack and leak from squeezing the air out to provide suction for refilling.

Do you remember the emerald green ink? Our school allowed us to use it as well as other colors. Whee!

How about the plastic pen handles that you pushed a nib into and then dipped into the inkwell? I seem to recall that the nibs were gold plated.

5. zealot

zealot Soli Deo Gloria

I'm surprised that Scripto made such good quality fountain pens, because today their ball-point models are lousy. Oh, and they stink like a felt pen when you use them.

6. patnewmex

patnewmex Jane of all trades

That's what we used in Catholic school growing up.

7. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

Our pens were made by Parker, but I remember both of those styles and the newer cartridge style that you didn't have to puncture - it had a plastic ball in the neck that was pushed free when you screwed the pen back together. The more popular models had room to store a spare cartridge behind the one in use.

We were not permitted to write with any other style of pen until middle school but my writing is so awful with a ball point pen that I stayed with fountain and cartridge pens.

8. whiterock

whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

I still have em and use em.
    Ed

9. Pigeon Lady

Pigeon Lady Well-Known Member Supporter

Mistletoad, did you grow up in England?

We weren't allowed to write with anything other than a founain pen (I mean the kind you actually dip into an ink well!) until highschool. Then we were allowed to use the Scripto or Parker pens.

Pauline

10. Farmerwilly2

Farmerwilly2 Well-Known Member

Still use mine on occasion. Can get the pens in Covington, KY and a shop in Georgetown, KY. What I don't see is the ink blotters we used in school when we first got our pens. My next step back is to relieve our geese of a few quills and stock up on the ink bottles, two should be more than enough.

11. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

I remember being so happy when they came out with the little cartridges so we didn't have to refill the pens anymore. Now I wish I still had some of the old refillables. They are a small part of some good memories.

12. Karen

Karen Well-Known Member Supporter

I sure do remember them along with Skrip ink that came in black, blue, red, green, and purple. I always wanted to use the green or purple, but we weren't allowed to for any school or business purpose.

My 10 yr old son and I were playing one of those games, sort of like in the "I Spy" books where you have to find a list of objects in the picture. One of the items was a fountain pen. He asked, "What in the world is a fountain pen"??? It never even occured to me that children today have never seen one.

He had visualized in his mind that it was like a roller ball pen that spouted water like a fountain. He thought it was like a "joke" pen or something...LOL!

13. SmartAZ

SmartAZ Well-Known Member

You can still get those pens. They are often found in drugstores labeled as "italics" pens. It comes as a kit with several points of various widths. I got one a few years ago when I was studying Chinese. It's either that or a brush for writing Chinese!

BTW Don't bother trying to learn Chinese unless you have a good reason, such as being married to one. The first 13 weeks of the course are spent just learning to draw the characters!

14. chas

chas Well-Known Member

I remember the nibs in the old wooden scratch pens having to be replaced pretty regular.We kept trying to spear ants on the wood floor,which ruined the nib allowing the ink to run out too fast!!
    And the girls pig-tails did get dunked in the inkwell :p
    Remember... "He has the mind of an inkblotter, he soaks it all up, but it's all backwards!"Unless you've used one you would'nt have a clue what that meant!
    I also remember the quite common sight of inkstained shirts from the scriptos getting older and leaking.
    Chas

15. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

Pauline, yes I'm English but not quite old enough to remember dip in pens (though our school deskd still had inkwells). I also remember how awful it was when your bottle of ink leaked in your bookbag! Paula