Who processes their own rabbit pelts?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by steve-in-kville, Dec 6, 2005.

1. steve-in-kville

steve-in-kville Raised Bed Artist

I was doing some searching around online and found stretchers and other supplies for the commercial rabbit industry. Any small-timers here process their own pelts?? I'd like to hear about it.

Steve

2. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the problem with that is that the pelts of the bunnies at butchering age aren't nice, you have to wait till after the first moult till they have a nice coat, and it is not economical to keep them that long (for meat, anyways).

3. natybear

natybear Well-Known Member

69 days is okay, but 8 months old is ideal. I have tried but I really need help with this task before I try again.

4. bob clark

bob clark A man's man

I have 19 pelts in the freezer from nz does that were 6 mo. old .they had an abundance of hair when we butcherd this fall. would anyone want them? how could I get them to you ? whould the mail take them frozzen?

5. natybear

natybear Well-Known Member

You can ship them frozen just add an ice pack and make sure that they won't leak. The real problem is I have about 30 of them; Dutch, Palomino, Rex, Satin, English Spot. Yeah, if anyone wants some gorgious RAW pelts, I got 'um too. Most from @ 8 month old animals too!