who on here breeds lgds?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by SherrieC, Dec 19, 2004.

1. SherrieC

SherrieC Well-Known Member

I need to purchase a LGD this year, I live in coyote alley. I was wondering who all is planning litters this year, of anatolians shepards, or 2nd choice great prys? and when you think they'll be due, and how much you'll be asking. Thanks SherrieC

2. bumpus

bumpus Well-Known Member

You need to spell out what you want
    instead of using so many Abbreviations.

Someone may have what you want
    but don't know what you are talking about.

3. SherrieC

4. SherrieC

Sorry couldn't resist! I' m sure if they have it they know it! But for the newbies, and we are all newbies at something. I need a Livestock Guardian Dog, because they will keep the coyotes at bay, while the coyotes can continue to eat bunnies and deer in the area. Only Great Pyrenese(sp) or first choice Anatolians need apply. Unless somebody near by has a really good LGD I've never even heard of? They also will help keep weirdos at bay I hope!

5. trickham

trickham Well-Known Member

LOL! The people that have them will know what an LGD is, IMO.

Nick

6. idahocurs

idahocurs Well-Known Member

7. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Well-Known Member Supporter

Sherrie, where are you located?

I know of several folks here in Idaho -- one with Anatolians, another with GPs and Akbash.

Tracy

8. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

I have a mix of Anatolian/Gr. Pyr which is great but no puppies sorry just thought I would comment on the mixed breed.

9. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Well-Known Member Supporter

Sondra, I bred my Anatolian stud to a GP a few years ago, and folks said they were the best working dogs they ever had.

certainly don't count out the mixes -- you can usually find them at a lower cost too.

Tracy

10. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

I'm a newbie when it comes to using abreviations too. I had to read the post to figure out what LGDS was. But of course I am the one who didn't know what BOSS was either. :eek: :haha: Us Newbies will learn these abreviations one of these days. Bare with us. :)

11. SherrieC

There was a time when I didn't know what BOSS was either I was thinking barley, oats, and soy, and sunflowers. LOL
    Anyhow I'm located in fridged N.E. Indiana if I go any norther, or easter I'm in a whole nother state.
    I'm just frantic to get one we saw a pack of 10 coyotes 20 to 30 foot from my baby pens this fall. The guy around the country block (on the same 1 mile square as me) has a pet timber wolf tied to a 30' chain. I think the wolf in the area is making them pack with more numbers. He is one or two now and HUGE! I need two dogs relistically. We have our whole acreage fenced in with high tensile, and I'm too chicken to let out my girls unattended. :waa:

12. SherrieC

P.S. BOSS is Black Oil Sunflower Seeds

13. Stacy Adams

Stacy Adams Well-Known Member

Sherrie, are you looking for one already grown and working or a pup? My LGD is an unregistered pyr, from working parents.. got him for $50.. it's been an interesting summer watching him grow up, but he's turning into a great dog.. there are deals out there, just keep a look out!!

14. SherrieC

Oh hopefully a pup but a grown working dog would be o.k. I suppose. Every time I see a really good deal It's four states or more away :(

15. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

16. shelbynteg

shelbynteg Well-Known Member

I have a litter of Anatolian/Pyr cross puppies that were born Oct. 1. They are socialized, and also around cats, poultry, goats, you name it. I have 3 females from which to choose. Ron Keener is coming to my place this Friday to pick up a goat going to Kentucky, and according to my itinerary, he is going up to South Bend, can't be too far from you. The pups are $200, and both of their parents are in my fields.

contact me for pics and more info...thanks.

17. Stacy Adams

From Nubian Talk...

Date: Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:34 am
    Subject: Purebred Pyrenees Livestock Guardian Puppies Available

ADVERTISEMENT
    Excuse my cross-posting and I thank the list moderator for allowing me to post
    this to the group.

Merry Christmas to all!!

I have a litter of Great Pyrenees Guardian Livestock Puppies that will be 6
    weeks old and ready to have new homes the week after Christmas. There are 6 of
    our 10 puppies remaining for you to choose from. There are 2 males left and all
    pups are growing wonderfully. Mom, Emma, is a superior "mother dog". No runts.
    I am located in Central Mississippi and if you are interested in talking with
    me about these puppies, you can write to me privately at davisds5@bellsouth.net

Have a beautiful and blessed day
    Susan Fitts Davis
    Proverbs 3:5-6
    Southern Touch Farm, LLC
    Caprine Breeding and Show Stock
    Brandon, MS

18. SherrieC

See thats why I want to know who is planning a litter next spring so I can save my pennies, I have 6 children to buy presents for plus a truck that just had to break down and need repairs this weekend. I couldn't scratch up $200 that quick this week. :(

19. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

Since you have children...the best advice I have is to purchase a dog from a breeder that temperament tests the litter. You want to find a puppy with a temperament that matchs for your needs. I would hate for you to "pick" a puppy because it is the shyest but cute and may be a fear biter or because it runs to you and plays and have it turn out to be the most aggressive pup in the litter. Of course these are the extremes. When you see an application it isn't because the breeder is a snob, it is because they are going to match up the best puppy for your needs.

Within each litter there will be many different personality types much as you see in your own family. The key to having this work is finding a dog that fits your needs.

One of the reasons we have so many LGD's in rescue is they didn't work out. The problem is you won't find a dog that has been temperament tested for $200. Heck that is about what it costs to have a litter temperament tested.

Something else to look for is health guarantees. Assuring that your puppy will grow up to be happy and healthy..ie: no hip, thryroid, eye problems when the dog turns 5 or 6 years old. Having a dog microchipped in case it gets out as well as tattooed is so very important. Having a breeder that you can count on for help even a year or 3 later when you need help or questions answered.

For those of you that are interested in Livestock Guardian Dogs (LGD) please visit http://lgd.org and check out their library. There also discussion groups you can join to talk about the various breeds, training, problems and hear stories about these magnificant dogs.

20. Stacy Adams

Westbrook, you refered them to me when I got my pup, as well as gave sugestions for his training.. and I want to thank you imensely!! we wen't through some tough growing lessons but got through them and at 10 months old, he's already a great dog... :worship: