Who makes the old driveway alert?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Kenneth in NC, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

I've been trying to find one of the older Driveway Alerts the one that has the 8' rubber hose that lays across the driveway. The hose connects to a wireless transmitter that "supposed" to be good for about 1500 feet. Anybody know the manufacturers name or better yet where to buy one?

Thanks.
    Kenneth in NC

2. ibcnya

ibcnya Well-Known Member

3. Kenneth in NC

The problem with the wireless sensor models is that Fireants and their friends find their way in and on the sensor face causing the detector to go off over and over again. They've ran 2 of that type unit. :eek:

Boxwoods that Milton was sold but it looked good Only downside is my drive way is 300 feet long and I want the sensor at the bottom of the drive. No electricity down there.:(

The type I am speaking of was made back in the early 1990's It had the hose that connected to a transmitter. The transmitter looked a lot like a walkie talkie only transmitted a tone that set off the receiver in the house. It was rated 1500 feet. I was thinking I could build a waterproof - antproof box and have only the rubber antenna sticking up for the transmitter. Since it took 50 pounds or more to set it off at least I'd know something was coming up the hill :D

4sarge- if you remember where you saw it please post it here or email me at
    healthwizard@surfbest.net

Kenneth in NC

4. 4sarge

4sarge Well-Known Member

5. Meadowwood

Meadowwood Active Member

We just bought a wireless driveway alert. It uses a rubber hose and has an 1000 foot range. Powered a with 9 volt battery. Seems to work well. The receiver has a very loud alarm.

http://www.dakotaalert.com/wireless_rubber.html

6. Kenneth in NC

That one has promise. Does the hose look like it would survive on gravel? Out here there ain't no pavement.:)

Thanks Meadowwood.

Kenneth in NC

7. MikeD

MikeD Well-Known Member

"Does the hose look like it would survive on gravel? Out here there ain't no pavement.:)"

Kenneth, any chance of pouring a small cement pad across the area you want to locate the hose just wide enough for it to be useful? Maybe just a piece of plywood, steel, etc buried shallow enough to give rigidity?

8. Kenneth in NC

I'd do that but the county scrapes this road and uses my drive to turn around in. any cement or pavement would last about a month. The underground monitor looks like best bet. now to talk DW into it. :)