Who makes the best vacuum cleaner???

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Oregonsparkie, Feb 26, 2005.

1. Oregonsparkie

Oregonsparkie Well-Known Member

I need to buy a new vacuum cleaner, can any one share their thoughts about who makes the best???

2. rannie

rannie Well-Known Member

Hi there! well 12 yrs ago I brought a KIRBY! it still works fantastic and the only thing I've had to fix is the belt normal wear and tear. yes I paid $1200 then comes out to $100 a year. everyone that has used it can't believe how well it works still today. it has been a good one for me at first i thought I was snookered by the salesman but here it is 12 yrs later 5 kids, husband and several pets. my SIL buys a new one every year and spends over a $100 each so i really think it has done me good Rannie

3. Dawndra

Dawndra I'm back

I 2nd Kirby! They'll last forever! They're cashy up front... but over the years, you'll get your money back... and they retain their resale value wonderfully! I have one that is about 25 years old & works like a top! (I paid $10 for it at a fleamarket 3 years ago)

4. DAVID In Wisconsin

DAVID In Wisconsin Well-Known Member

I have a Oreck. I love it. They weigh 8 pounds you can literally use it on furniture. They have great suction. They are very simple and mine costs about $200.00. Oreck's are very popular with hotels and commercial buildings because of their weight and relialability.

After using mine once, one of my neighbors bought one also.

5. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

We have over 600 vacuums (in various stages) in our home and barn. My husband collects, repairs, restores, buys & sells vacuums. The older, the better. What started out as a 'good find' at a flea market has become his obsession.

It all started when our new Dirt Devil bit the dust (literally) after only 1 year. We were at a flea market and bought an upright Hoover from the 1970's for 2 dollars, and after we vacuumed our rugs, the Hoover's bag was 1/3 full of sand that the Dirt Devil was missing. They just don't make 'em like they used to.

I cannot tell you which is the 'best' vacuum for you. I personally don't like canisters, I prefer uprights. My DH prefers canisters. Something to consider is that different models suck the dirt up through the motor & fan. Some of them just we're designed as good as they could have been. Bagless vacs have their drawbacks too. Some of them require filters to buy instead of bags.

Helpful hints:

Try really hard to resist emptying & reusing the paper bags. The bags become thinner and dust can filter through the bag and into the motor. The few cents that you are saving by reusing bags is not worth the cost of a new motor.

Change your belt every third time you change your bag. Even if you think it doesn't need it; change the belt.

Most carpet fresh powders that are sold have salt in them. This will absorb moisture and eventually rust or corrode the metal parts inside your machine. If you feel that you absolutely MUST use something on your carpet, use plain old baking soda.

Put a dryer sheet inside of your bag for a fresher scent.

Oregonsparkie, If you'd like, PM me and we can talk actual make & models and their features.

6. Slev

Slev Well-Known Member Supporter

well everything my wife has bought so far has been CRAP! hoover - crap bought at Best Buy, I think the other one was Kenmore - Crap!

I can't afford up front or on payments a kirby. I will not pay that much for name recognition.

What about that new one out there from that gay sounding brittish guy? I forget the name, cyclone or somet Dyson..! that's it, dyson

Anyone try that one or know what they cost?

I'm thinking of just putting a small amount of grease and beef boulon in a spray bottle and give everything in the house a light coat then let the dog lick it clean!

7. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

i miss my dyson ....
    dyson is an awesome vaccum... they dont clog dont have a cloud of dust around them ..... for that matter any bagless vacuum will walk circles around one needing a bag ....
    right now i have a eureka boss, its an upright bagless, it works ok , but it has a tendency to clog, so i wouldnt reccomend it

anyone ever notice how a vacuum cleaner is the most dirty appliance used for cleaning the house, they always have a film of dirt on them .....
    B

8. cchapman84

cchapman84 Well-Known Member

We have a Kirby that's at least 10 years old. It still works great! My parents bought it in the early or mid 90's, and gave it to us a couple years ago (mom got sick of lugging it up and down stairs--it ways at least 25 or 30 pounds!) I love it! The only drawback I have noticed is that sometimes the brush gets tangled up with hair and then the belt starts to burn (smells awful!), but I think if I just took the time to look at it occasionally and see if there's a build-up of hair, then it wouldn't be a problem. :rolleyes:

I've been wanting to try that new Dyson advertised on TV, but I can't spend $500 on something when I already have one at home that works fine!

Cameron in VT

9. Cygnet

Cygnet Well-Known Member Supporter

I bought a broken Kirby at a swap meet for $10 and fixed it with a $10 hose.

Kirbys are tanks -- mine's a 1987 model and I've abused the heck out of it, vaccuming up sand and pet hair and hay and everything else that gets tracked inside. I killed two $100 cheap-o vaccuums in a year before getting the Kirby, and the Kirby just keeps ticking.

Nice thing about it is, if it DOES break, you can get repair parts for it -- or part it out and sell the working bits on E-bay. They're all metal, and built to last -- and to be fixed when they break.

Leva

10. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

I have the dyson animal and love it!!!! Its the best vac ever...I have had them all kirby,dust devil kenmore.....all of em cheap ones and spendy ones . We paid 500 bucks for this baby and it rocks!!! And its my fav color purple. We have 3 huge dogs I vac everyday and that thing works like magic. Our wood stove makes tons of dust it sucks it right up. No bag, the bottom of the unit opens not the top. I love it. I will also mention its light!!! Kirby wieghts a ton!!!

11. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

We just bought the dyson and love, love, love it.
    It was from sears and was $379 on sale. My hubby cleans carpet for a living professionally and was reluctant because he has always swarn by his comercial hoover conquest (that weighs about 60 lbs.). His hoover was giving out after a nice commercial life of 4 years (which is good) and he wanted something good...we were at sears looking for a minifrig for the camper and i just happened upon the Dyson that was out in the middle of the store for people to test...the rest was history.
    LET ME TELL YOU HOW GOOD IT IS; when we got home, my hubby (who had vacuumed the rug that morning with his commerical hoover) decided to vacuum our braided wool rug that sits on the hardwood. There was at least 1 cup of dirt and fluff from this rug. It vacuumed so well that the floor under the rug did not even have any of the fine grit under it anymore (you know, how you have to move the rug every now and again to sweep under it) I was very impressed with the vacuum, my rug even looked brighter and much better...and that comes from a woman who can have her carpets and rugs cleaned any time she wants. My hubby was thrilled and went in and got a second on the next day. We opted for the yellow model but they have other color models that do different things. You should go in and test one out, they are very nice. Another thing that i like about them is that they have a 2 YEAR warrenty...none of the other vacuums have that sort of warrenty.

Belinda

12. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

What kind of floors do you have? If you have mostly solid surface like wood, etc., I highly recommend a Miele canister. I bought a used one a few years ago. It was spendy, but it's really wonderful. It has the best filtration system on the market, so if allergies are an issue, you can't beat it. They last forever and they clean like crazy.

I've heard good things about Dyson's too. If you have mostly carpets, Dyson would probably be good.

13. Oregonsparkie

Oregonsparkie Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone... we have carpet... guess either the dyson or the kerby would be the best.. One advantage with the kerby is the shampoo attachment.. We have a large dog that shed alot...

14. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

My experience with Oreck, Hoover, and Eureka is that they don't suck -- literally!!

Years ago, I had a Kirby, but the motor blew (I was not good about maintaining tools back then) and instead of fixing it, I put it on the curb.

Fast forward to last month. A friend was curbside gleaning, and found (you guessed it!) a Kirby. He already has a vacuum, so he gave it to us! We fixed the bag (it needed a new zipper), got some refill bags and a new belt, and it works GREAT!!!

We call it our CURB-Y. :)

I'm not parting with this one. I know enough, now, how to fix it or to find someone who does.

I wonder if you could find one on your local Freecycle, or maybe on eBay?

Happy Vacumming!

Pony!

15. blufford

blufford Well-Known Member Supporter

When I clicked on to this thread I thought that it would be filled with people with their favorite electrolux stories. My dad still has his mothers elexctrolux that must be 50 years old. Granted he only uses it in the garage to vacume his vans carpet. The folks have a newer one inside the house for the carpets. I use a hoover in my apartment which is about as next to nothing as you can get!

16. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

I've had really good luck with a Sharp cleaner. I bought one 7 1/2 years ago, and with all my dogs and cats, it got used a lot! When it died a few months ago I went to the store where I purchased it and told the fella I wanted the exact same model as I was so happy with the original one. Of course they had upgraded recently, but he had one left, and it was on sale for $100, original price was $20 higher! I really recommend the Sharp upright.

17. Sparkey

Sparkey Well-Known Member

18. nodak3

nodak3 Well-Known Member Supporter

Check with consumer reports. I did--after a lifetime of being a kirby, electrolux, or kenmore user I replaced the last one with a bissell with a hepa filter. Not all hepa vacs are equal, as some of them (and rainbows) actually put a lot of gunk back in the air. This one cost around $100, cleans like a dream, no bags, and no allergies after vacuuming. Consumer Reports will help you pick one depending on health needs, flooring, and what you can afford. Their tests are more reliable than word of mouth reports.

19. motivated

motivated Well-Known Member

I now LIKE to vaccum with that light Oreck- No more fighting a heavy machine!
    It also lifts the nap of the carpet nicely worth every dime although I had to think about it for a while :)
    Jodi

20. RandB

RandB Well-Known Member

For those with the Dyson, how many filters have to be changed in it?

The newer vacuum cleaners are junk, as far as I have found. Went through 3 uprights in 3 years, all different brands. Currently use a GE canister, which is adequate, but has had some problems too (at least not fatal ones, yet).
    At our office we got once of those bagless uprights. At first I liked it, but it clogs up really fast and looses suction, then it is a royal pain to clean and change all those filters.

My next house I want to be able to sweep with a BROOM !!