Who Makes The Best Foundation Wax ?In Your Opinion.

Discussion in 'Beekeeping' started by Hee Haw, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Hee Haw

Hee Haw Well-Known Member

In your opinions who has the best foundation wax for hives and suppers?
    I bought some last year from Brushy Mt. for brood hives and the wires were exposed on the outside of the wax, I advised them of it, but did not get replacements, but did not ask them to. Other than that I have got good service from them. I need to order some now for suppers and broods and thought I would get your opinions. I think it pays to try to get the very freshest and best when it comes to the starter wax, afterall this is the bees furnishings for production of bees and honey .Thanks

2. Iddee

Iddee Well-Known Member

3. alleyyooper

alleyyooper keeper of the bees Staff Member Supporter

I second the Walter Kelly company. Great people to deal with. I've found them lowest priced for most all bee supplies too. The have always advised me when some thing is not going to be shipped right away because of a shortage at the time. Some places won't do that for fear you will try to get it some place else.

:D Al

4. beaglady

beaglady Well-Known Member

Dadant is the only company that makes small cell foundation, which I use for mite control. So, Dadant it is.

5. alleyyooper

Better Bee has Drone comb foundation on sale ($2.00 ea.) now. Use it for mite control also. Just let it fill up with drone brood and freeze it over night and place it back in for another round. The mites like to lay in the drone cells.

[​IMG]

6. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Walter Kelly is our choice,too but we do order from Better Bee at times. Kelly has always stood behind their products. Having spent the last two weeks putting together new supers,frames and boxes we appreciate their quality supplies. Besides,they are the closest to us for shipping which is so high anymore. DEE

7. Hee Haw

Hee Haw Well-Known Member

Is that the 4.9 cell size with wire? How well do the bees take to it? Do they build it as fast as the regular? What is the best way to transition them over to it?

8. alleyyooper

Link to drone cell foundation on sale at betterbee.
    http://www.betterbee.com/specials.asp

Pierco Drone Frame: Last year Betterbee teamed up with Penn State to test an easier way to use the Pierco Drone Frame. We just used a few test hives, but the results were compelling. We are suggesting people give this frame a try. It is a very effective way to manage mites.