Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious to see how many people on this forum are satisfied with the area/state that they live in. So many times I see people wanting to move (like myself) and there are so many different reasons why someone would want to leave an area. What are the reasons that you love where you live and enjoy everything about the area.

I love where I live because it is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. I live in Moab Utah, home of Arches National Park, Canyonlands National Park, Dead Horse Point, and endless other natural oddities. Moab is a wonderful, quiet community in the off season so you can drive through town and not see that many people on the street. The weather is very mild all year round, and if you like to disappear into a vast area for a period of time you can and you will not see a single person.

I don't love where I live because during the tourist season the town grows from 6,000 to around 15,000 to 25,000 depending on what event is going on. You start to lose the small town sense, and everything about the town is aimed at someone other than the locals that live here. Moab is so far away from any type of city (closest being Grand Junction CO 1 1/2 hrs.), that you have to make a whole day of travel to go anywhere. It is a desert so to grow any type of anything (flowers, food, trees) you have to heavily irrigate to keep it alive, otherwise it will be dead in about 2 days. There is a lack of water so to be self-sufficient it is a struggle the whole way.

Tell me about your up's and down's I am anxious to see if I am the only one frustrated with their location.

·
proud GRAMMA
2,261 Posts
I totally love where I live, We own 8.5 acres of land and have our farm on a Mountain, we do have neighbors none to close but close enough if you need them, no one can build near me unless they build across the rd from us, still havent found the for sale sign that was up on the property,probably not very acceptable for people from the city,,, I have a pig farm and people think it smells, I bet my farm doesnt smell 1 week out of the yr.We live 8 miles out of the closes town that has a store, our town is so small we dont have a store or post office we share with Bristol, we do have a 1 room school house which I went to in 1966-1968 so did my oldest daughter and 2 of my grandchildren, now its a kindergarten only but it is still open. We dont have alot of traffic on our rd and if we do they mainly go tot he AMC Lodge 2 miles above us, I bet there isnt 30 people that live up the rd from me that includes summer people. Everyone close raises animals, we help each other out when there is a need. Our biggest city is Manchester where our big airport is and thats 2 hours away there are several smaller ones closer but still over 30-45 minutes away. I grew up on the other side of the mtn I live on now.

I would like to live further back in the woods,and have a little more land to be able to raise more animals and more gardens. Would like a different house, small more efficent
other than that love it here

·
Premium Member
6,751 Posts
I love where our farm is. It's been in dh's family for more than 90yrs and now it is all ours. It has mature hardwood and pine trees, fertile garden/farm land, 2 ponds, nice pasture and is surround by 1000's of acres of more family, timber company land (they have leased it for 100yrs--so nothing will be done in our life time. The town is small and most are homegrown people--a few outsiders have come to live but they haven't started to try to change our town too much.. I am sure this will change as the older folks die out and the younger ones move away... QB

·
Registered
630 Posts
I love where we live in the mountains of Virginia. It is very lightly populated, there is plenty of forest land and agricultural land still, and everyone knows everyone. Most families have been here for over 50 years or so, and the community is very close. God still rules the hearts of men here, for the most part.

The beauty and serenity here likely will not change much. Or, at least I hope not. People here love how life is, and are not willing to give that up easily. We are growing a little in the industrial sector, but they are only bringing in cleaner industries, nothing that will destroy the environment or put huge belching smokestacks over the landscape. Everyone seems to understand the major asset that the natural beauty of our county is blessed with.

I've lived a lot of places, but this place will likely be my home till I die. :)

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
i truely love where i live. heres why.

FLATOUT ALBUM
SALTWATER JOYS Wayne Chaulk, 1989

Just to wake up in the morning, to the quiet of the cove
And to hear Aunt Bessie talking to herself.
And to hear poor Uncle John, mumbling wishes to old Nell
It made me feel that everything was fine.

I was born down by the water, it's here I'm gonna stay
I've searched for all the reasons why I should go away
But I haven't got the thirst for all those modern day toys
So I'll just take my chances with those saltwater joys.

Following the little brook as it trickles to the shore
In the autumn when the trees are flaming red
Kicking leaves that fall around me
Watching sunsets paint the hills
That's all I'll ever need to feel at home.

This island that we cling to has been handed down with pride
By folks that fought to live here, taking hardships all in stride
So I'll compliment her beauty, hold on to my goodbyes
And I'll stay and take my chances with those saltwater joys.

How can I leave those mornings with the sunrise on the cove
And the gulls like flies surrounding Clayton's wharf
Platter's Island wrapped in rainbow in the evening after fog
The ocean smells are perfume to my soul.

Some go to where the buildings reach to meet the clouds
Where warm and gentle people turn to swarmin', faceless crowds
So I'll do without their riches, glamour and the noise

Some go to where the buildings reach to meet the clouds
Where warm and gentle people turn to swarmin', faceless crowds
So I'll do without their riches, glamour and the noise

mr. chaulk can express this much better than i can.

dean

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
BTW here is the island of Newfoundland. :hobbyhors :hobbyhors

dean

·
Suburban Homesteader
2,558 Posts
What I love about where I live:
- my family is here
- no snow in the winters
- close to shopping, hospitals, services
- I love our small house

What I don't love about where I live:
- pollution
- perpetual drought
- not enough property; houses are practically attached to each other
- traffic
- too much noise
- so much light at night I can barely see the stars

·
Registered
189 Posts
I love where we live except for the traffic. I/we live in northeastern Ontario, Canada. 30 acres on the lake for which the rural community is named.
Wildlife abounds--bears, wolves, deer, moose, etc. since this is the north.
Once the morning rush hour is over it is peaceful.
No close neighbours, but just up the highway folks if we need them.
Personally I'd love to live deeper in the woods, but for now will take what we have and be thankful!

·
Premium Member
5,492 Posts
Climate & geographic location. Plenty of sunshine, plenty of rain - great for growing most things.... Mountains and ocean are an hour or so east and west of us.

Just wish we had the time/money to do more with the acerage we have.

6,637 Posts
there are no tornados, no earthquakes, no floods, no deserts, no droughts, easy water table, fertil land, no hurricanes, and very few temps above 85.

Its the almost perfect place on the planet. The only problem is there are to many people, cops and politicians.

·
Premium Member
15,516 Posts
Truly, I think a part of me would die if we had to leave here! We live in North Central Wisconsin in a very rural community where everyone knows each other. I can tell who is driving down our road by the sound of the vehicle. Heck, I can even tell if Steve has a full load or not when he is hauling logs. (We live a mile from a sawmill.)

Our doors are not locked during the day, but I think we're the only ones who lock them at night. Most leave the keys in all their vehicles all the time, including at church.

·
winding down
3,471 Posts
I like living in the South. I like the humidity, I prefer temps in the 90's and I like trees and green stuff all around. It's all here. :D On the other hand, our particular piece of property is about as flat as the proverbial pancake, and I do prefer land with some roll to it...but, 'it's all good', as my manchild says.

Meg

·
Registered
637 Posts
I live in KS. I moved here from TN when I was a teen ager, and it was rough. But the beauty of KS just slowly grew on me. So...
things I love:
- the town I am moving to is small, a lot like Mayberry in some ways. Everyone knows everyone (both good and bad). The kids still play in the streets and come home when the streetlights come on.
- watching the sunsets, sunrises, and storms roll in is truly awe-inspiring. There is so much color in the sky here.
- same thing, but getting out in the country and really seeing the stars.
- very few tourists. I grew up in Nashville, so tourists are something I am familiar with. While it's nice to have the extra tax dollars, the traffic and lack of respect is not so great.
- BEEF!! The steaks here are great, especially in little diners or dives.
- not specific to my state, I'm sure, but more to small towns: I love the integrity, friendliness, and honesty of most of the people I deal with.
- very little gridlock in the big towns close to me. I can make it from the east to the west side of town in less than 45 minutes (including most of the bedroom community suburbs).

Things I don't like:
- there is such potential here for more environmentally friendly energy and transportation, and we can't seem to get people motivated.
- sometimes the landscape is a little dull. No mountains or beaches here.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I love all of the responses! We have been searching for a great farming type community for about 5 years now and for some reason it is very intimidating trying to think about just fitting into a new area. I was raised in Salt Lake City so there was never the everyone knows everyone kind of feel that I have now. We just need to get out of the desert, so I love to hear about the different parts of the country.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
I love where we live because:
the farm has been in our family since the late 1800's.
I grew up here.
The town is less then 2000.
Town is 3 miles away.
It's a 1/2 hour drive to "shopping".

What I don't like about it:
We live on a fairly busy rock road. Lots of looey loos who have nothing better to do.
Prior owners let the place go to (very warm place).
Aformentioned prior owner is a relative and lives "over the hill" from me.

·
Premium Member
2,595 Posts
simplefarmgirl said:
I totally love where I live, We own 8.5 acres of land and have our farm on a Mountain, we do have neighbors none to close but close enough if you need them, no one can build near me unless they build across the rd from us, still havent found the for sale sign that was up on the property,probably not very acceptable for people from the city,,, I have a pig farm and people think it smells, I bet my farm doesnt smell 1 week out of the yr.We live 8 miles out of the closes town that has a store, our town is so small we dont have a store or post office we share with Bristol, we do have a 1 room school house which I went to in 1966-1968 so did my oldest daughter and 2 of my grandchildren, now its a kindergarten only but it is still open. We dont have alot of traffic on our rd and if we do they mainly go tot he AMC Lodge 2 miles above us, I bet there isnt 30 people that live up the rd from me that includes summer people. Everyone close raises animals, we help each other out when there is a need. Our biggest city is Manchester where our big airport is and thats 2 hours away there are several smaller ones closer but still over 30-45 minutes away. I grew up on the other side of the mtn I live on now.

I would like to live further back in the woods,and have a little more land to be able to raise more animals and more gardens. Would like a different house, small more efficent
other than that love it here

Just hold on .... I'll be looking at it the middle of September. Just keep it a secret until then :)

·
Premium Member
2,595 Posts
I live about 40 miles west of Tulsa, Oklahoma on a 10 acre farm and I love it down here. Even when I move back north to be closer to my family I will still spend a good portion of the year down here. I love the green all around me .... the people ..... the quality of life and the low cost of living. I love everything about it (especially now that I have central air :D ). And the economy is very strong here ......

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
My mother bought the bulk of this place in 1967 so all Us kids would always have a place to call home . It started out as a 25 acre riding stable over the years the creek moved and its 28 acres now , Then My sister and I purchased 12 adjoining acres giving us a total of 40 acres roughly a mile from town . It sits back in the middle of the mile section so we arent bothered by neighbors or traffic .
On the north we have the creek and timber, to the east we have a nice thick hedgerow with quiet neighbors beyond, to the west the other neighbors horse pasture and a nice thick hedge row, and to the south a 15 acre forest of trees .
We have some neighbors that have been great friends since they moved in over twenty years ago . We dont bother them they dont bother us but we are all there to help if anything goes wrong , They are more like family .
I grew up Here with the germanshepards we raised they were my best childhood friends and are buried in a place of honor . my roots here are deep set . I promised my mother I'd never leave her here alone and would take care of her . So far Ive managed to keep that promise .
Yes I love this place It is Home and hopefully barring it being swallowed up by city limits it will remain Home for My children as well .

·
Semper Fidelis
4,609 Posts
Well I have been living in Northwestern Coastal California (Humboldt County) since 1982. On the hilltop above the coast it does not get very hot/ but foggy instead, lots of trees, and not many noisy tourists up here in the Redwood Trees on the hill. It does rain quite a lot here in the winter and now in summer it is 63 degrees and foggy today, while inland it is 100+ degrees..

The downside is Earthquakes, in the summertime the tourists arrive in droves down the hill making it difficult to get around town or the beaches, and we have some of the highest gasoline prices in the nation. To do major shopping at most of the large chain stores I am looking at a 200 - 300+ or more miles round trip, from behind the Redwood Curtain.. I live above Humboldt State University down at the bottom of the hill, so when school is in session then one has to deal with the students everywhere.

Compared to Detroit, Michigan where I grew up, and the Southern California Desert at 29 Palms where I was stationed in the US Marine Corps - this is paradise!! No snow/ heat or major crime to deal with...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts