Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
in memoriam
12,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That question has came up after I got all my commerciel people taken care of till I can get back to doing it my self.

I told my brother in law Kare could do it as a teen she mowed lawn for her folks.
Bit that was with a lawn tractor a 9HP Simplicity with a 42 inch deck.

I do not have a running lawn tractor the 7112needs to be over hauled and the 6517 needs a deck. But I have the ExMark 60 inch deck and know she can do it if she goes at her own speed.

I got it out in the drive way and explained the controls not many and pretty simple. that one by the right foot just raises and lowers the deck along with that lever close to the foot lever.

This lever is the park brake and has to be set to start the mower and off to move it, if not moving the steer levers will kill the engine.
these two levers are for steering forward the morer goes forward, back the mower moves in reverse. the red lever on the right panal is the throddle the black one is the choke when starting cold.

Do a practice lap up the drive way and back and you can mow. One mowing lap and she stops and asked why it looks like it isn't cutting the grass. You can not run the engine at a idle and have it cut the grass. Run the throddle wide open and use steering control levers to controll your speed.
One more round and she stops and says I see your right.

She mowed the whole front yard and did a good job but not as close to thre shrubs and trees as I would have nor as fast but she can do it now. So if i get sicker and cn not tke care of the yard she will do fine.

She hasn't stuck me in a home yet either so all is well even though feeding me is driving her crazy.

Al

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Good for Kare! When we moved to the country I had never even been up close to a riding mower, let alone a tractor. DH bought me my own belly mower and he has his tractor w/bush hog. I love mowing.

·
in memoriam
12,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kare has yet to learn how to use the front loader on the tractor, brush hog and tiller. I am sure she will have no problem with the hook up with the quick hitch system. Some I need to modify the top link a bit, as for the back blade I use a chain grab hook for the top link.

I will make sure she can start the little CS 400 Echo chain saw and the little Polan 25 to do clean up in the yard.
Both walk behind snow blowers the one here at home with E start and thre Predator powered one at her mom's house.

Want her able to do all most every thing I can do before I leave for Valhula.

Al

Reactions: crehberg

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
I always wonder why so many living on acreage in a rural setting mow an acre of more of "lawn" around the house? A lawn is practically a desert. A short lawn doesn't really keep rodents or bugs away from the house. Wouldn't it look better and be better or the environment to let grow out as natural meadow?

·
Registered
14,395 Posts
Up until a few years ago, my wife wasn't interested in using a tractor. She'd tell me to haul X up for her, or dump some dirt for her greenhouse, etc.
I bought a little CK30 Kioti for resale and got her on it one weekend. She started loading square bales and pushing manure piles and moving dirt and I couldn't get her off it.
I discovered she liked the small compact hydrostatic tractors, not the big machines.
It was just a matter of matching her to what she was comfortable with.
I did however, sell that tractor.

·
in memoriam
12,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We have lots of shrubs and trees in the yard for the deer and other critters like the turkeys that were roosting in a couple a couple days ago.

Al

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's good that you have that kind of help. Mowing the lawn is also a significant help, in my opinion. Until recently, I mowed the lawn myself and did all the necessary work on our lawn. Now I am over 50 years old, and it is more and more difficult for me to do it on my own. There was no one to help me, so I turned to the landscape design guys at https://jscustomlandscaping.com. They tidy up my yard, mow the lawn, plant flowers, and much more every year. So much easier for me. The guys cope with everything in a couple of days, while I have to mess with it for at least a week. So I found the best solution for myself.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
The Dept. of Agriculture and Environment asked all Nova Scotians with yards NOT to mow their lawns for the month of May. This is to encourage pollinators. Mowing the lawn at our winter home is a problem since my husband is at the farm and even when here I can't mow the lawn due to a problem foot. Even when I could I only mowed the little front yard and the back of the trailer. The field grew and Bill mowed once in the Summer and again before winter. At the farm, he mows around the cabin and long driveway and around the garden beds. The fields are bush-hogged twice a year to keep weeds down. The grass in the yard is already about six inches high! Some places are as high as ten inches! Wildflowers and dandelions are growing and the pollinators are here! I went out yesterday afternoon to pick dandelions to dry for tea. Bees were everywhere being busy bees! Mowed grass looks neat and good but letting it grow is better for our environment. I never liked mowing grass anyway! It is also getting harder to find kids willing to mow lawns. It is much different than things used to be.

·
Registered
Acta non verba
2,407 Posts
I said when I was little and had my own place I wasn't going to have a telephone or mow the lawn.

So I did get a landline, but no cell phone, and I don't mow the lawn- the husband does. But if it were up to me, I'd likely just move the goats around.

·
Premium Member
32,563 Posts
In my yard only the paths and the part of the hill get mowed regularly. We mow our other properties because the lawn area is larger. If it was up to me they would be mowed only around the buildings, pathways and the shooting range.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts