Who here has never ate sausage gravy biscuits?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by moopups, Dec 11, 2006.

1. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    As I made this mornings carbohydrate run I encountered an older man whom stated that his wife had became a 'Real Southern Belle', meaning she has accepted Sausage Gravy Biscuits as a real food. Obviously they are transplants.

For those of you whom are not informed, the white gravy is taste neutral, containing flecks of tasteful sausage, served over crumbled biscuits, usually with black pepper only as the seasoning.

The guy stated he had never heard of such when he lived in the North, apparently the people there are not open minded to good food.(slice, slash, stomp!! :rolleyes:).(the devil made me do it!).

Confessions are in order here, whom is willing to place their sins openly visible on this forum?

2. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

Me. I think. Unless that is the (excuse me while I gag) stuff served in mess halls as SoS. I tried that once.

3. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

Ahhh. Sausage gravy and biscuits is a true delicacy. But, the white "taste neutral" gravy that comes in a mix is NOT good and I try to avoid it like the plague. If you make your gravy from scratch rather than a mix, you can say goodbye to the tasteless bland gravy. Just get a good roux going from the grease and sausage bits stuck to the bottom of the pan mixed in with some flour. Get it deep brown (peanut color or slightly darker). IMPORTANT - never stop stirring and use a wire whisk. Add milk, salt and pepper.

Making gravy this way is definitely an art that takes some practice. But once you have it down, you'll never again torture yourself with the tasteless stuff that too many restaurants serve.

4. HappyYooper

HappyYooper Well-Known Member

Not only have I heard of them, I've ate 'em, made 'em & love 'em! I see them often in our restaurants & I live in the U.P.! If it weren't for the fact that we just finished our breakfast of venison steak and fried taters I'd be making some!
    :)

5. olehippy

olehippy Well-Known Member

We love sausage gravy & biscuits. Quite easy to make also.

Brown Jimmy Dean (or some other breakfast sausage) until brown. Stir in about 1/2 cup or so flour. Cook flour and sausage about 5 minutes or so. Add about 4 cups of whole milk. Bring to gentle boil. Add more milk if too thick. I like to season mine at this point with salt, pepper & sage.

6. Wildwood Flower

Wildwood Flower Halfway, OR & Wagoner, OK

I live in Oregon part time, and Oklahoma part time
    I don't eat them myself, but I have to make them for my hubby periodically--he's a southern boy.

7. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

We live "out Wesy" and not only do we know what it is, but it is winter supper fare in this house. My mom's recipe for stir & roll biscuits, homemade sausage gravy, yummy!

When my brother & his family (doubles my family) visits in the winter, this is often our meal. So none of our kiddos will be able to say they have never eaten sausage gravy & biscuits here!

8. nandmsmom

nandmsmom Well-Known Member Supporter

Even here in Massachusetts, we have that on the menu. I think we're the most Yankee state in the union too.

Heather

9. TxCloverAngel

TxCloverAngel Happiness is Homemade

Oh my.. of course!!

Is there any other breakfast food???

**only home made tho... nothing bland about it :D

10. Calico Katie

Calico Katie Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't like a lot of sausage in mine. Just the grease to flavor it with the bits that cook onto the skillet. Real cream gravy has a good flavor and it's not just a glob of flour/milk paste. I didn't know you could mess up cream gravy until I ordered some in a truck stop up North years ago. I was so young and innocent. I thought everybody ate biscuits and gravy. :benice: Another culture shock for me during that time period was when I ordered a glass of ice tea and the waitress broke out in hysterical laughter.

11. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

I doubt its a southern thinng I always discribe myself as from the DEEP SOUTH ....OF ALASKA and I know them well .I think its more a country thing.
    I had B&G at a VIPs in Kenniwick WA every day for a month and never got the same thing twice it turned into a running bet with all of us at the Christmas tree lot.

12. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

HUH? :shrug:
    Did you perhaps order sweet tea with the same southern drawl(south of Alaska) that I use?

Biskits and graveyand sweety hunny? :p

13. Speciallady

Speciallady Well-Known Member

I made them every day the year I worked for Bob Evans. It came from a mix, and looked nothing like homemade didn't taste good, which has nothing to do with my ability to cook btw. What I make at home is delicious. extra pepper a little ceyenne, a dash of salt, Sometimes I use hamburger instead of sausage and put it over mashed taters, Yum, makes for a great easy dinner that fills you up.

14. Calico Katie

Calico Katie Well-Known Member Supporter

I didn't understand why she was laughing either. Someone finally explained to me that it was the way I said 'ice'.

15. largentdepoche

largentdepoche Well-Known Member

Where I grew up in Ohio/Indiana, we were big bacon/egg/cereal eaters. Grandma always had Cheerios whenever we went to visit her, I remember that.

I like milk biscuits with tuna and peas in gravy, it tastes really good.

I remember one of my southern belle friends ate sausage links on milk biscuits with red hot strawberry jam, she had a stomach like a steel trap LOL!

Kat

16. rivesjct3768

rivesjct3768 Well-Known Member

I like my sausage on the side and gravy made from the drippings. I am from Texas and sausage gravy and biscuits was a favorite breakfast food, along with grits and eggs.

17. FiddleKat

FiddleKat Mother,Artist, Author Supporter

That Sos stuff is actually ground hamburg browned and then a can of Cream of Mushroom soup added in, with the exception of instead a whole can of milk only use half. Stir it up and cook it until its hot through and then its served over toast. My mom use to call it something else like S on Shingle. I just can't use the word here.

Every sunday morning after church we have sausage biscuits and gravy!! Oh I love BISCUITS AND GRAVY!!! YUM YUM YUM!!!!

18. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member Supporter

I love Sausage bisquits, even if they will perhaps contribute to my untimely death due to heart failure. :)

19. FiddleKat

FiddleKat Mother,Artist, Author Supporter

Since when? I was born and raised in the People's Republic and never saw biscuits and gravy.
    Unless your thinking saugage and biscuits from like, McDonalds? But then that wouldn't count.

20. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

What is this "taste neutral" your talking about? White gravy has a very good flavor if it's made right. And where did you get the idea that black pepper is the ONLY seasoning? It's the main seasoning, but not the only one. We don't crumble the biscuits either. Just break open a biscuit, slather it with butter, and pour on the gravy. Maybe it's a regional thing... :shrug:

Chuck, if they contribute to heart failure, it must take a looooong time. Dad eats gravy with every meal and he's in his 90's.