Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I totally stunned my brother in law the other day.

Long story short… I was using a razor utility knife to cut some heavy cardboard and he was …ahem... “supervising” (hovering over me telling me how to use the thing).
I finally got to where I umm… was sick of his helping… and I said this is kids stuff compared to my rotary cutter, at least the razor isn’t round and wont roll over my fingers.

Well Mr. Macho Construction Guy had no idea there was such a thing as a round razor blade and thought I was making it up. He thought he had seen every tool known to man, but that’s where I got him LOL.

I went and got my rotary cutter and handed it to him. I said “see women’s tools are more dangerous“. I told him how it worked and his eyes sorta bugged out of his head a bit. He ended up having to admit that a rotary cutter was more dangerous looking than a utility knife.

Then he even thanked me for showing him a tool that he never saw before. Now that is priceless. :duel: :happy:

·
Premium Member
1,606 Posts
You must be very careful letting a man handle the rotary cutter,, the first quilting class I attended, the instuctor showed us the rotary cutter and said "Don't let your husbands see the rotary cutter because the first thing they do is say oh that's not so sharp and run their finger/thumb down the blade to test it,, and it cuts them to the bone!!" Yep, next class 3 ladies had had to take thier guys to emergency because of cutting themselves testing the little ladies cutter!! Now I'm assueming most Homesteading men are not that stupid, but be careful with them anyhow!!

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats so funny Maxine cause yep that is the first thing that he did. Luckilly I handed it to him with the slide down so he didnt hurt himself. LOL

·
Premium Member
10,703 Posts
I just offered mine to DH last week. He decided NOT to use it...(he is sewing up some Xmas hats) because "that is TOO dangerous!" Which was fine with me 'cuz he would probably not be able to stay on the mat...

He is a MEAT CUTTER, for goodness sakes! Yep, ladies tools are scary!

·
Premium Member
1,606 Posts
Ow!! Oh my goodness CJ!! I have often thought of buying a pair of the cutting gloves from Fons & Porter that protect your hand from the rotary cutter..Oh man CJ, a cut like that just makes me shiver! Get better soon!!

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Ouch, CJ!! Take good care of that!

Since I got my embroidery machine, DH has been in 'my room' more....grrr! He has a fair amount of respect for the rotary cutter (he is a handy kind of guy, after all), but I just can't get him to close it each time he puts it down! And we have little kids around!! [I confess, I usually cut towards me for more control, but I ALWAYS close it when I put it down!]

But one of the first times he used it, he took a chunk out of a new ruler!!! Can we say "Step away from the cutter!"?

·
Premium Member
2,685 Posts
My husband was thrilled w/ my embroidery machine when I got it. He (industrial electrician) and my son (mechanical engineer) discussed it endlessly and that it was a simple CNC.

I know I will get cut by saying this but I have never cut myself w/ a rotary cutter and neither have any of my boys. I have had all of them using it at different times. NOw I have a question. I am slightly ambidextrious and slightly dislexic so I use my rotary cutter in either hand. My DIL is left handed and I was so happy to buy her left handed shears for Christmas. My aunt asked me if I bought her a rotary cutter that can be set up either way so she can use it left handed. Do you know what she is talking about?

I took mine apart and it only goes together one way. I use it in either hand and cut either direction. Am I doing something wrong?

Btw, my husband did think a bigger rotary cutter than mine (45mm blade) would be very handy in his shop.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Countrysunshine~ THe Fiskars cutter that I have can be used either way. It's a dk. grey handle with an orange blade protecter on it with a push button to retract the blade. You just screw the blade onto the 'wrong' side of the handle.

I'm not positive, but I think the Dritz cutter which automatically retracts can also be used either way without changing the blade around.

HTH

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
I cut myself every time I change blades... and periodically when cutting out quilts. :confused: It's not that I'm not careful, I'm just very clumsy! I'm not allowed to have sharp knives in the kitchen anymore.... :p

·
Premium Member
2,685 Posts
Mine is an Olfa and I think that is what I bought her. She is in medical school but has asked me about quilting. I bought her the proper tools for the job. The rest is up to her.

Good news is should she or I cut ourselves w/ the rotary cutter she can just stitch it right up. Of course, so can my neighbor. He is a nurse and he told me not to take the boys in for stitches. Just to call him and he would fix them up. Gotta love neighbors like that when you have three active sons.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts