Who finds this distasteful?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Silvercreek Farmer, Jan 18, 2007.

1. caberjim

caberjim Stableboy III

This is fantastic! They should clone pigs, chickens, eggs - whatever they can. And get it out there to market asap. All this does is make my farm products more desireable and more in demand. Let the big producers put out cloned beef everywhere in the grocery stores and prepackaged foods and more and more consumers will be looking to the small farm to get non-cloned meats.

2. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Well, I'd agree with caberjim except I doubt they're gonna feel the need to label the meat as cloned, so on one will know what they're eating. <gag>

They don't label radiated or GMO foods...why should this be any different?
    <gag...choke...gag>

3. farmwife

farmwife Well-Known Member

Yuck! I will stick to raising our own meat! Going out to eat, eating at reunions or people's houses makes it less exciting. We will have more company here and stick to how we know how it has been raised.

4. Chas in Me

Chas in Me Well-Known Member

Cloned foods will be common in the future. I will continue to grow organic food and let the world change without me.

5. muzzelloader

muzzelloader Well-Known Member

This cloned food stuff reminds me of a sifi story I read once that the main sorce of food was a giant cloned chicken chunck of meat that was fed manufactured food and the clone grew and then the workrs just sliced off slabs of meat and used it just like real chicken. Realley gross but may be comeing in the future if we keep on this cloned food path.

6. UpstateNY

UpstateNY Active Member

cloned is ok with me. it is not the same as the "genetically modified" stuff being done. Assume for second that my cow has identical twin calves. I am not going to try to figure out which one is the "clone" and avoid eating that one. I am eating both when the time comes. Cloning does present some economic and may be some long range problems. But, we have been doing selected breeding and trying to get the same consitant traits for a long time. If I could find a way to garentee me the same quality stock over and over again I would consider that a boon not a thing to fear.
    Now modify, putting seaweed genes in my beef well..... that is another story.

7. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

A cloned cow is still a cow. Its a cow.

Just as a baby born by in vitro fertilization is still a human. Weve talked about this in other threads over and over.

Its a COW just born a different way.

8. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Well-Known Member

I don't find it distasteful. (The folks eatin' it said it tastes good!)

Times move on.....

I wonder if an Eygyptian from the 1st dynasty would find Budweiser distasteful?
    Or perhaps find a McDonald's hamburger distasteful? (MAYBE on THIS ONE!)

9. Silvercreek Farmer

Silvercreek Farmer Living the dream. Supporter

Yeah, while I don't have a problem eating a particular cloned animal, I think the idea of cloning livestock wouldn't take long to get past saving genetic material in a rare animal, before every single animal was a clone. In the end it would probably just increase our risk of catastrophe caused by the lack of genetic diversity. In effect, all plants propagated from cuttings/grafts are clones, and as we all know, one little disease can wipe out the entire crop, leading to the need for chemical life support for everything we grow.

10. earthdog

earthdog Active Member

Whats distasteful about it? A cow is a cow is a cow.
    I'll bet that cloned beef is very tasteful

11. Christiaan

Christiaan Dutch Highlands Farm

The danger in cloned anything is the susceptibility of your entire crop being vulnerable to a particular disease. This is what happened with the Irish potato famine. All of Ireland's potatoes were the clones from just THREE seed potatoes brought to the island in the 18th century. Same thing, basically, happened with the corn smut that wiped out the midwest corn crop in the '70's. Its a matter of putting all your eggs in one basket, the eggs themselves are still good eating.