Homesteading Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
It may decrease the likelihood of severe symptoms and therefore perhaps a hospital stay or death. But the philosophy behind the vaccine passport to "prove" an individual is "safe" to be around because they have been vaccinated but if transmission is still possible then the passport is really nothing but performance theater and perpetuating a false sense of security.
I understand. Once again, my post that you are quoting is in regards to why someone would want to get the vaccine, not anything about the silly passport idea.

·
Voice of Reason
52,468 Posts
Have you been keeping an eye on the variant strains? We've been told that there is a great deal of concern about the current vaccines effectiveness.
There's good and bad news about that. The good news is that that vaccines, especially the Pfizer vaccine, are effective for the known variants. The bad news is that the variants are spreading faster than people are being vaccinated.

·
Administrator
19,585 Posts
“We have been told...”

Not a reliable prediction.
My response was directed at Nevada's crystal ball and my own belief that this every time someone claims we've turned the corner, somebody moves the corner.

I'm quite certain that what Canadians are being told is no more reliable than anything else we've been told previously. A few variant strains are quickly gaining ground in Canada and I'm sure our nursing homes will become the true test of the vaccine capabilities.

·
Voice of Reason
52,468 Posts
My response was directed at Nevada's crystal ball
I wish people would stop using that tired old line. I see the humor, but it's always at my expense. I get conservatives using it as a cheap shot. I'm surprised to hear it from you. Is it really that important to you to cast doubt on the current vaccines?

·
Administrator
19,585 Posts
There's good and bad news about that. The good news is that that vaccines, especially the Pfizer vaccine, are effective for the known variants. The bad news is that the variants are spreading faster than people are being vaccinated.
That's why I'm a bit confused about you declaring things will return to normal so soon. I haven't seen any statistics on any specific vaccine being more effective than another and as far as I know, they are still compiling data.

·
Voice of Reason
52,468 Posts
That's why I'm a bit confused about you declaring things will return to normal so soon.
I base that idea on how many vaccine doses will be in arms during the next few months. By beginning of summer there should be enough doses given to start making a difference in pandemic data. By end of summer things should be a lot better. Maybe not life like pre-pandemic, but a huge improvement over what he have today.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
I wish people would stop using that tired old line. I see the humor, but it's always at my expense. I get conservatives using it as a cheap shot. I'm surprised to hear it from you. Is it really that important to you to cast doubt on the current vaccines?
I might be the one who started it 😉 .??? Maybe someone can check it out...

·
Administrator
19,585 Posts
If you don't have a crystal ball, how can you ascertain when life will return to normal?

·
Voice of Reason
52,468 Posts
If you don't have a crystal ball, how can you ascertain when life will return to normal?
An educated guess based on the factors outlined in post 27.

·
Premium Member
2,734 Posts
Maybe have a "Vitamin D passport" that certifies that your vitamin D levels are not low. Vitamin D deficiency has been linked to Covid mortality and many other illnesses. It is probably one of the reasons sickness increases in winter months. I am surprised that so little has be said about Vitamin D and other risk factors that we can manage.

Reactions: JeffreyD

·
Voice of Reason
52,468 Posts
That's why I asked about the variants. They could bring a whole new dimension to your hypothesis.
Variants are similar enough to the parent virus that vaccines are close enough to have at least some effectiveness. If it weren't that similar it would be called a strain, not a variant. A new strain wouldn't be expected to be susceptible to current vaccines.

·
Administrator
19,585 Posts
Variants are similar enough to the parent virus that vaccines are close enough to have at least some effectiveness. If it weren't that similar it would be called a strain, not a variant. A new strain wouldn't be expected to be susceptible to current vaccines.
It doesn't seem our top doctors or the vaccine manufacturers are as convinced as you are but I'm sure we'll learn more in the days to come.

·
Voice of Reason
52,468 Posts
It doesn't seem our top doctors or the vaccine manufacturers are as convinced as you are but I'm sure we'll learn more in the days to come.
I'm always willing to learn. Do you have a link to what top doctors and vaccine manufacturers are saying?

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
So this occurred to me. In the US, if they require everyone to have a vaccine passport and by making it required, ensure everyone of all income brackets, colors, etc can get one -- haven't they just fixed the voter id concern? I'm thinking the mandatory vaccine passport could become the voter id.

·
Registered
320 Posts
So this occurred to me. In the US, if they require everyone to have a vaccine passport and by making it required, ensure everyone of all income brackets, colors, etc can get one -- haven't they just fixed the voter id concern? I'm thinking the mandatory vaccine passport could become the voter id.
Having to show an ID to vote is way too oppressive.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts