Who do I contact to find out about...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by havellostmywings, Sep 30, 2004.

1. havellostmywings

havellostmywings Well-Known Member

having a cellular tower put on my property...

I have heard they pay a good rent and I know they need access... I have the back half of this property that its going to take time to get to ... and will prolly only be used for goats and cows to graze on for a long time...

I understand they pay about $700 a month to do this and that would be my mortgage payment...

if anyone has any info on this they could share, I would appreciate it..

thanks
    Lynnin Texas

2. unioncreek

unioncreek Well-Known Member Supporter

I would contact all the local cellular companies. I know around my area southeast Washington state that they pay up to $5000 a month on a 10 lease.

Bob

3. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

Check out the archives, too. I remember this was a topic a while back. Do a search in the older archived material.

4. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

Many of the cellular companies lease space on towers from companies like American Tower. Unless your property is located in a favorable location they probably won't be interested. Also remember that you will end up paying higher property taxes based on the improvements to the property. Lastly, consider that you will have to give them an easement that allows them to come on the property whenever they want/need.

As usual, just my 2 cents.

Mike

5. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

What Mike said. If they want your property for a tower, THEY will seek you out. Haven't heard of it working the other way around.

6. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

I know what you mean, i would love to have a cel tower on my place too! Anything to make the place pay for itself!

7. Donovan K

Donovan K Well-Known Member

Cellular towers are set in a plan created by the cell company and then has to be approved the by Federal Communications Commission before they get the license to provide cellular service so the companies arent really looking for people to volunteer. The sites are specific and have to be cleared in advance of the application to the federal government. It is really the luck of the draw that your propery happens to be where a cell company needs a tower, that is why they pay so much for these leases, they are must-have situations and they are usually under a time constraint. If they could be placed just anywhere they work to create the coverage area, there would be competition for the tower sites and then they would be cheaper for the companies to lease. Same rules basically apply for commercial and non commercial radio and television stations, telephone company microwave towers and such.

Also remember, these sites have to have ready available power and lots of it, easy around the clock, all season access. And, some people have the belief that being in the radiation field of these towers can be unhealthy. It is a great way to make money if you are lucky enough to be a necessary site, but figure too, they are incredibly ugly to look at and will ruin that view you used to love so much.

JMHO

Donovan

8. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

Google search "cellular tower lease firms" and you will find loads of sites. I just did a quick google and found this site which touches on many of the basics.

http://www.privateline.com/Cellbasics/leasinginfo.htm

Perhaps this will help you to find an interested company. I was only 3 years late when I chose to lease my land for a tower but did let an engineer I know with a local telecomm company of my desire to lease my land.

9. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

I know our small town gets 1500 per month for the water tower mount and unlimited 2 way for all village employees. 12 units in all I think.

mikell