who do I castrate?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by 3SistersFarm, Apr 12, 2006.

1. 3SistersFarm

3SistersFarm Well-Known Member

When you have twin ND bucks, which one do you castrate? I do want to breed one with the other non related does. I'm crazy about Billy and he's very tame and cute. Do I castrate the one I like so he doesn't stink later on? Do I castrate for color, Billy is brown and Phil'us is all white?
    I like the looks of Billy better but I don't know what I'm looking as far as NG traits. Oh and Billy is a tad bit smaller.
    I'm puzzled, what criteria do I use for castration? I have an appointment in few weeks for Phil'us but I can always change it now but not later :)

TEE

2. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

are they registerd? line them up with the standard for the breed and the one that best fits the standard i would keep,
    if they are both good animals and there is a maket at all for them, especially if they have papers keep them both intact and sell the one you dont want later on,
    Other wise if you dont have them registerd or anything, and both are nice decide on the one that has the best personality. everything else would be secondary at that point, you just dont want a mean billy

3. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

Do you only have these two bucks? I would keep one intact for breeding if that's what you plan and wether the other as a buddy for his brother. Do they resemble each other structurally? Bucks are very tough to define early on as they take longer to mature and can change dramatically. Look for things like tight shoulders, good rear leg angulation, strong, straight forelegs, good width, levelness, overall good blending and dairy quality. Is there anyone you know familiar with goats who you can call on to give an opinion?

4. 3SistersFarm

3SistersFarm Well-Known Member

They can be registered, I just haven't done so yet. The person we bought from said I didn't have to registered every buck I have, so that confused me. I have three does, and four buckling from two of those does, none are related. I was hoping to breed the third doe with one of bucks. And both bucks are sweet, gosh I wouldn't know what to do with a mean Billy. I like the one goat so much because he likes me, funny how that works with people too. I may regret him jumping on my back later when he starts stinking :eek:
    And infamous story of "whatever happen to Elmer" on this site totally scared me. I'm afraid not to castrate after that story.
    I will look at the standards to see if I can tell. I am definitely not in goat country here in central Illinois. No market that I can tell yet, but I haven't really tried yet as I'm trying to build the herd.
    Thanks for your thoughts,
    Tee