Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is ours.. a 19 month old jersey will be sent in November.

Wanted to see who else is getting ready to fill their freezer soon!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice looking cattle! Cowpoke did they just castrate him? Neat color pattern on him. I am not sure what he is mixed with. Thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Yes, I had him dehorned and casterated in one stop after the auction. Im a Brangus cow/calf crop w a few goats and also raise show calves and some beef bottle babies. Im new here. Nice to meet your text. :)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is a fun thread! Nice to meet you too! We started raising our own beef and pork about 4 years ago. This website has been so great and helping me learn to try and raise them the best ways.

danniulrich05 those steers look nice! Wish we had grass right now. I have been using hay since July. And now grain feeding too. How much do you think they will weight when you send them in?

·
Retired Coastie
5,118 Posts
Here's my beef, he said "it's not his best side." His fatal appointment is on Nov 28th and he's not looking forward to it. Just started him on whole corn once a day for about 7 days now. Will boost him up to twice a day whole corn at the day draws near....Topside

Attachments

·
Registered
159 Posts
This is a fun thread! Nice to meet you too! We started raising our own beef and pork about 4 years ago. This website has been so great and helping me learn to try and raise them the best ways.

danniulrich05 those steers look nice! Wish we had grass right now. I have been using hay since July. And now grain feeding too. How much do you think they will weight when you send them in?

I'm hoping they are at 900lbs. This my first try with grass finishing and jerseys so we will see. I had a show steer in highschool that was 1250 at 17 months old. These guys seem so scrawny.

·
My name is not Alice
4,185 Posts
ImageUploadedByHomesteading Today1410723443.094735.jpg

Bubba was born in April. 1/2 Hersey, 1/2 black. I bought the cow pregnant. No details on the bull. He will go to camp in 2016--if I have the heart. He is such a cuddle bug.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Just sent our two steers to auction.Freezer is still full from last year. Got an ok price but took a hit as they were only grass feed and here in Iowa that is a bad thing.

·
Registered
499 Posts
So what are people now selling grass fed beef hanging weight? I have one scheduled yo go in for slaughter on Nov 11. WE will start finishing him with chaffhaye( bagged alfafa) soon.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Lambert (15 months old) is ready to go in the spring and Cheese (11 months old) will go next fall. Cheese got big this summer he escaped into an alfalfa field and weights more then his older 1/2 brother. I just took one in this week that was a Jersey/Angus so I'm set for a little while so these two can grow.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 46 Posts