Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The thread on wedding colors has brought up a reoccuring question I have:

Who are these people who decide what makes me "chic, in the know, modern,well dressed," or just plain acceptable?

What kind of educational background do you need to tell plus size women they should wear horizontal stripes this year?

What experience enables you to tell me that sunflower yellow shoes are what I should be wearing this summer?

What kind of in-depth research have you done when you tell me that the colors I want for my wedding are not chic?

Who gave you permisson to tell me that if I am not part of the herd, then I am not acceptable?

I would really like to know who these people are! :p

·
bunny slave
4,389 Posts
"They" are "they" - that's all you need to know.

Now give me your money and stop asking questions! :p

·
Registered
264 Posts
And who has the right to tell you what season you can wear your white heels or your pink blouse? I wear it whenever I want. If someone has a problem with that then, they have a problem!

·
Waste of bandwidth
10,618 Posts
They're the kids who used to dress goofy in high school. Now, they're running the show.

Either that, or they're from France.

·
Registered
998 Posts
"They" are the "experts", and how dare you question their credentials. Haven't you noticed that "we" need the "experts" to tell us how to do everything from raising kids to dressing ourselves?

·
Premium Member
6,489 Posts
Mostly gay men? Particularly those that hate women?? :)

I have to admit I've watched "What Not to Wear" at times. Some of their fashion advice is current/fashion trendy and I sure don't care for that. Some of it gives some good ideas as to what might be flattering for various shapes, but to be honest I've never seen a seriously large person (such as myself) on that show - I don't think their advice will fit all! Mostly I think fashion is pretty ridiculous and wear what is comfortable, hopefully fits and won't be too offensive to others or I find attractive.

I'm a fashion maverick!

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
GrannyCarol said:
I've never seen a seriously large person (such as myself) on that show
C'mon, didn't you know that we (I am a seriously large person too) are just supposed to be grateful that someone out there is making clothing that fits us besides Abdul the Tent Maker.... We aren't supposed to wear dress clothes, or maternity clothes or inexpensive clothes either.... oops, kind of a thread hijack there... sorry, now returning you to our regularly scheduled program!
God bless you and yours
Deb

·
Registered
246 Posts
There has always been folks around who tell the rest of us what to wear or if we're in fashion. It's tiresome. Back in highschool the rule was 'blue and green should never been seen!' . hehhehe.... now that lil rule has been blown out of the water. We discouraged from wearing white shoes in the winter, now we cannot wear them at all (according to some of the fashion ghurus). As far as I'm concerned, I"m old enough now to make my own decisions as to what to wear. Yep, sometimes I"m a disaster, but, one learns to laugh at one's mistakes (or one never goes out).
This is one of the benefits of getting older.At times, we simply just don't care. If someone likes our fashion sense, that is great... if they dont', that is still great.
But, I agree.. it's tiresome that someone has set themselves up as 'knowledgeable' and is spouting their beliefs all over the TV. I just go looking for Lucy reruns, that's more fun *GRIN* Lucy has good fashion sense.
Gloria

·
stranger than fiction
3,093 Posts
What kind of educational background do you need to tell plus size women they should wear horizontal stripes this year?
What I wanna know is how come when I was 100 pounds overweight, every striped shirt in plus sizes were horizontal instead of vertical stripes to make me look slimmer? For some reason, verticals never seem to catch on, but an enormous amount of larger sizes always have horizontals, and in yucky colours to boot. Are they trying to make people feel sorry for themselves, or what? :flame: Not that I really care. I wear jeans 90% of the time and pretty much anything goes with those.
Who are these people who decide what makes me "chic, in the know, modern,well dressed," or just plain acceptable?
Um, Paris Hilton? I bet she will make vertical (black) stripes in this year......oh, that or orange jumpsuits. ;) :D

·
Banned
10,456 Posts
They are persons with appeal to enough weak minded people to control the weak minded people.

If enough people allow themselves to be controled then the fashion "experts" attempt to force others to join them by the "join the band wagon" and divide and conquer methods.

Those who are independ and careless if copied will never be fashion experts just happy.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I really love yellow. Thankfully it's "in" all year around.

DixyDoodle said:
Um, Paris Hilton? I bet she will make vertical (black) stripes in this year......oh, that or orange jumpsuits. ;) :D
Oh now, wouldn't that be a good way for her to get even?

·
Registered
615 Posts
You sound lot like I did the last time I saw once of those stupid makeover shows. Half the time the makeover makes them all look the same, everyone loses their personality.

There is chic & fashionable, when you tend to wear whatever the fashion police determine.

Me, I prefer having STYLE. Wearing what YOU like and feel good in. Some of the classiest people I know don't care one bit about fashion, yet others are always commenting on how great they look. These women know themselves and even more like & accept themselves as they are. They don't let a lot of weirdly dressed folks tell them what OK to wear and what's not. I personally believe that the best things we can have for our wardrobe is confidence and respect for ourselves.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Just give me some flip flops, T shirt and jeans and I'll be happy. After all, I'd rather be happy than make "THEM" happy!

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Keep whatever you like long enough, and you'll be in style every 17 years or so.

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
What I wonder, is how they stay cool in all those garbs that they put on. I can have on capris and crocs with a t shirt and still be hot in this weather and see someone with a jacket over this fancy outfit and hat and shoes and nylons on. Just makes me sweat more.

Also those run way girls, how do they stand to walk like they do? Why do they have to do that walk, people that buy the stuff don't walk like that.

I think they need to make larger sizes in petites. Such as women petites. Some stores do carry them, but most don't. Or they aren't large enough.

·
Unknown
148 Posts
Ever heard of the 4 part documentary called "The Century of the Self" put out by the BBC? Here's a brief overview of Part 1 with links to the other parts. If you search google videos (which include youtube) you should be able to locate them or parts of them.

Morpheus: You take the blue pill and the story ends. You wake in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill and you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes. Remember -- all I am offering is the truth, nothing more.
So don't start researching unless you're ready Neo :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts