Who Are The Real Owners?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by heelpin, May 22, 2004.

1. heelpin

heelpin Well-Known Member

This is something that really gets my goat. I live on land that has been in my family for over 100 years but If I don't make the extortion payments I will be booted off by force if necessary. What would I do if it came to that? Would I barricade myself with my trusty old longtom and say come get me? They say they have to tax to run government, to finance public schools etc, ok, I'll agree but the guy down the road with 8 children lives in a rundown rental house and I have to pay for his kids education, is this fair? There is a better and fairer way to tax us serfs, I say place a value added tax on everything you buy, fire all the beaureaucrats now being paid to collect taxes, make it simple, all states have the means collect sales tax now, it would be no problem to add on the value add tax. This seems to me to be a no brainer, the more you buy the more taxes you pay.
    http://www.geocities.com/northstarzone/PTAX.html

2. RAC

RAC Guest

Actually, the owner of the rental house is paying the taxes, the renter is paying indirectly.

3. Ann-NWIowa

Ann-NWIowa Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm sure they will eventually go to the universal sales tax. However, two weeks later they'll need more money and start taxing real estate again. One step forward two steps back. We had a property tax "freeze" for a number of years. It was supposed to provide tax relief. Guess what - all of a sudden the value of our property increased (so they said) so they still got their money.

4. Hoop

Hoop Well-Known Member

Taxation.....in all its forms always has some unfairness built into the system. Yes, it is unfair for you to pay big $$ in taxes to support a school system.....while that lowlife scumbag living down the way......pays next to nothing.......and has 8 kids getting a free education.

It is no different on federal taxes. I feel that my federal tax $ are being spent by my government in Iraq for no good reason on something I am totally opposed to.

In a perfect world, we would only be taxed on things we support and benefit from.

Its not a perfect world. Never has been. Never will be.

5. PitterPat

PitterPat Member

Actually you DO benefit from those 8 kids getting an education. Lack of education is linked to violent crime. The better they are educated, the less likely they will come rob you.

It's not fair?
    Sorry, but does you birth certificate say "fair" on it. Life's not fair.
    JMHO

6. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Gotta raise taxes! How else can we pay for bread and circuses? :haha:

7. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

I would certainly be in favor of sales tax however it too would be far from fair.

I really get ticked off going to another city/state and paying some outragous tax, often a bed/board tax on a motel bill, to further promote more tourists, so that even more taxes can be collected. Is that really fair.

How about all of the tourists paying sales tax when visiting in your community and making mega purchases while the spouse is at meetings, etc.

Sales tax, I favor it for some of these reasons. I've not purchased a new vehicle since 1983, hence no sales tax on $10,000-$25,000.

Since 1997 I can't think of any purchases I have made that cost more than $200, hence little sales tax.

Some most of us on this board have the ability, skills, and knowledge to make, grow, and produce much of what we consume, we would be ahead with a sales tax.

Now how do we get rid of those "franchise" taxes on unility bills. Danged if the city I live in doesn't charge a franchise fee for a city owned and operated utility. That can only be a way to get taxes, not limit who does what in the streets, alleys, etc. ARGH!!!

8. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

!00 years ago someone probably took the land from the Indians. The concept of land ownership is laughable, we can claim ownership but only as long as our society exists. No gov't, no taxes, no society you would be thrown off just like other countries that have been conquered.

9. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

That's why you have guns buddy, the "check" in the Check and Balances system. :)

BTW What I understand is if your 50 or older, you don't necciarly have to pay land taxes, I think they call it a Ciruit Breaker Program? anyways, you pay the tax, but you got a appilcation in with the county clerk? I think it is based on income, I really not sure, heard it on the radio once, since I'm not 50, I didn't pay that close attention.

BTW, Don't Forget what happened to the Branch Davidians in a little town called Waco!

10. heelpin

In my area you get a $45,000.00 exemption at age 65.
    The thing that really bothered me about Waco was how people were brainwashed by the media into thinking that it was justified because these people were wierdoes and dangerous. Its only a matter of time before our guns will be confiscated with the blessings of the masses. If you want the storm troopers to come down hard on you, just run an avertisment proclaiming something natural like herbs is good for cancer. This is a good example of big business and government teaming up to control with absolute power. Also, the financial markets are totally corrupt and out of control, run by organized crime and scam artist, stay away. The standard of living in this country is on a slow downward trend due the global economy and I think things are going to get a lot worse before they get better.

11. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

and the World bank already has got a NEW money system, it's called the Euro! So I wouldn't be surpised if the BIG international bankers puts the trust in the Euro and causes the dollar to be worthless!

Did you know the Euro's main computer that controls the transactions is called "The Beast"

...and about Waco, the Davidians were not Wackos at all, just normal folks, and the FBI took the phase David Koresh said, "I'm God" out of context, when he said that, it was said in a Sarcastic sense.

If they didn't bring out those tanks(the only way they did it was "claim" a meth lab was out there) then it would have been different.

12. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately this is very true. All of the land in this country, & in the world has been taken by conquest by someone who had more resourceses than the people that formerly owned it.You can't own land.All you can do is try to keep it for the next generation.

13. Desert Drifter

Desert Drifter Member

Property ownership should be a fundamental right just like,freedom of speach,freedom of religion, gun ownership,etc.Even if you are lucky enough to have your property paid off you still don't own it you end up leasing it from the county.Everyone who is either paying on a home or has it paid off is a potential homeless person.Why?Just don't pay your property tax.I guess the only satisfaction one can get from paying either state,county,or city taxes is at least you benefit to some extent.For instance, schools for the kids ,roads to drive on,libraries,etc.But the question i ask is, what benifit does anyone get from federal income taxes? Most people who benifit from federal taxes are people who don't pay them or even live in this country.Here in southern arizona along the mexican border all our public services are being streached to the limit.One problem is, illegal immigrants send their kids to shcool and the school can not ask place of birth so free education compliments of the tax payer.Immigrants get sick,free health care which has our small community hospital on the verge of bankrupcy.When the border patrol chases a van full of sometimes fifteen to twenty immigrants and the van turns over, they get air lifted to one of the big cities for medical care. Again ,thanks to the tax payer.Women expecting, come into the country and have their baby and automatically qualify for american citizenship.Don't get me wrong i am not anti-mexican for probably if my family was living like they are expected to live in poverty i would do the same thing.But that still doesn't make it right.You say taxes are unfair? you bet they are.People who are not preparing themselves for bad times in the near future are going to find themselves in a world of hurt.Sorry for getting off the main subject and rambling.My apology.

14. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

................The "Davidians" , other than that COWARD Koresh were a bunch of Sheeple. They let one Twisted, Mean son of a Nothing that he WAS RUN their lives and then he had another Coward shoot him in the Head before the Fire engulfed the Whole Compound. The FBI asked him numerous times too release all the children in the compound but Being the PIECE of CRAP that he was he refused Knowing FULL well that the FBI wouldn't engage them in a running gun battle as long as the children were inside the building.
    ................The FBI is just as complicit in the overall responsibility of the deaths of all occupants as was Koresh was by virtue of their Hardball tactics but Koresh was both A murder and a Warped degenerate at best. He was having sex with all females above the age of about 10 or so . Some people are just plain Stupid as well as ignorant and they all seemd to congregate at that particular location. The SAD part is that the Children all had to die because none of the Adults had enough SENSE to Execute Koresh before the situation degenerated into it's Final Conclusion. ...............fordy.... :eek: :(

15. It's the same tax, same problems, same loop-holes, same number of beurocrats needed.

If you've ever been self-employed, you would understand how _poorly_ this tax would work and what a miserable headache it would be and how it really is the same thing we have right now.

Silly, silly idea. It would only allow them to keep the income tax, and _add_ a national sales tax. Silly idea. No way.

--->Paul

16. heelpin

Silly? A national sales would

Let workers keep their entire paycheck and retirees keep their entire pension.

Abolishes the IRS and ends all audits of individual taxpayers.

Replaces the federal income tax. Frees individuals from ever filing a tax return again.

Replaces all payroll taxes including Social Security and Medicare taxes. Current Social Security and Medicare benefits would not change.

Replaces corporate and self-employment taxes.

Eliminates all hidden federal taxes.

Provides a universal rebate equal to the sales taxes paid on essential goods and services to ensure that no American pays taxes on necessities.

Replaces all estate, gift, and capital gains taxes.

Dramatically lowers tax rates for low- and middle-income Americans.

Closes all tax loopholes.

Brings accountability to tax policy.

Lets American-made products compete fairly.

17. thomas49

thomas49 Member

check out this site about national sales tax. www.fairtax.org
    I'm with Heelpin, Tom

18. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

For those of you who think that a national sales tax is the silver bullet that will eliminate audits, tax fraud and all the other issues one sees associated with tax collection......take a look at countries with high VAT (Value Added Tax). Still plenty of cheating, still plenty of government employees enforcing and processing.

Mike

19. Amy Jo

Amy Jo Well-Known Member

I think that retirees should be exempt from property tax. You've paid your dues... kept the property up for all these years, been valuable members of the community, and are on a fixed income... this should be your reward... instead - in my state - all the yuppies move into $200,000 homes built on 1/3 acre lots of a former farm and this jacks up the property values and little Mrs. Winston who is widowed and still living on the 20 acres and in the home that Mr. Winston built for her suddenly faces taxes in the thousands as her house is NOW worth more than she can afford the taxes on. So, she's pushed out, they slice up the 20 acres and sell it off in 1/3 acre lots and she's stuck in some apartment in town. It's disgraceful! I volunteer to pay more state income tax if they would just eliminate property taxes from retirees.... or keep it at the level that they paid when they bought the house, so they could at least plan for it.

In our state, we pay sales tax on used vehicles too. The state gets tax on that vehicle over and over again until it dies... all the part you put into it, then you sell it and they get another little slice, tires, oil changes, sell it and another little slice to the pain in the neck state of Pennsylvania.

I'm tellin' ya - we need a tax revolution!

20. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

So, Heelpin; Try this on for size:

Widow owns home, has homeschooled all three offspring (i.e. NOT used the public school system) OWNS free and clear (eh hem) her home.

NOW THAT IS unfair taxation!!!!!!!!!! Not to mention, I read somewhere that ONLY 2 % of the people actually OWN thier homes (i.e. paid off) so.... why not make property taxes exempt after ownership occurs... PLUS widows, PLUS elderly?

:no: A-holes. Can't you just see it if I refused or COULDN'T pay? What a 'lovely' thought. NOT! Yep... God Bless Amerika