Who are the "locals "?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by AmericanStand, May 17, 2017.

1. AmericanStand

AmericanStand Well-Known Member

In another thread there are some Who think the locals should make the rules that affect their area.
    How do you define the locals ?
    Is it a matter of numbers of the population or of acres of area ?

In my Township there is a village. There are about 500 in the village. Less than half of that in the Township.
    Very little that happens in the Township affects the villagers yet they can vote in the township elections.
    On the other hand almost everything that happens in the village affects those in the township but they cannot vote in the village elections.
    Are the villagers locals to the Township ?
    Are those from the township not local to the village ?

2. LincTex

LincTex Well-Known Member

What location is this?

3. MO_cows

MO_cows I calls em like I sees em

We live outside the city limits of a small city. We own property inside city limits and pay property tax to the city, pay sales tax to the city on everything we buy there, yet we don't get to vote in city elections. Not eligible to run for office either. Sometimes it's just hard to draw the lines appropriately. For example I often wish we could vote for mayor/city council but then again, I wouldn't want absentee owners of some neglected, borderline abandoned properties voting and technically we're in the same category.

AmericanStand likes this.
  4. GTX63

GTX63 Well-Known Member

I always saw the "locals" as the ones who were regularly visible. Didn't matter where they lived if you routinely saw them in the post office, tavern, barbershop, etc. I live 7 miles from the closest town (3k pop) and I go in maybe once a week and usually just passing thru. I don't consider myself a local.

5. geo in mi

geo in mi Well-Known Member Supporter

The guys down at the Teapot Dome, (er...excuse me, April's Gourmet Country Kitchen), they know....if you come through the front door, they will turn around and stare at you. If they turn back around and take another bite of their bisquits and gravy, you're a local.

:)

geo

April Angnos and AmericanStand like this.
  6. mmoetc

mmoetc Well-Known Member

After over 20 years of living and operating businesses here, having a child graduate from school here, holding elected office here, serving on various committees and doing lots of volunteer work here we finally figure we're locals. How do we know? We showed up a bit later than usual at the polls for the last election and the ladies who man the polls looked up and said "About time you got here. We were just talking about you."

In the context of the question the OP is asking. If you can vote on an issue like election for local office or in a referendum for local regulations you're local enough for me.

7. AmericanStand

There is a TV show about 9 inholders in a Arctic park.
    Are they the locals that should make the rules for the area around them ?
    I know of a area on the Mississippi River with a few houses on each side , are they locals that should have a say in how things run on the river ?

8. AmericanStand

Do you concider yourself a local of some sort of neighbor hood ?
    Is there a area you think you should get more say so in than those that live in that town you mention ?

9. AmericanStand

What about the other side of that coin ?
    I live in Illinois county that is famous as a farmland tax haven. A state law that let's the state set very low taxes on farmland makes it that way.
    But that causes the taxes on other lands to be higher to make up the difference.
    Worse yet it drives up the prices of farmland and That drives up th prices of the remaining highly taxed land.
    Should those of us located in this county be able to exert a additional tax On absentee landowners , perhaps a income tax ?
    Since we are a popular tourist destination should we perhaps just jack up the taxes on them ?

10. AmericanStand

Think of it as a hypothetical , location really isn't important.

11. mmoetc

mmoetc Well-Known Member

The simple answer is no, you cannot impose a special tax on one group of landowners and exempt another group who's land is identically held. The land is the thing being taxed. The location of the owner is irrelevant to the tax status of the land.

12. mmoetc

mmoetc Well-Known Member

It would depend on the circumstances. Your question is significantly vague as to be answerable in a number of ways.

The river is a navigable waterway subject to federal and state statute. Can the locals override those rules, no. Should they have input into those rules, yes.

I'm not exactly sure why you think that locals shouldn't have input on things like land use and zoning? If not them, who?

13. AmericanStand

I didn't say the locals should or should not have the say on anything.
    I'm asking what others think and perhaps more accurately the logic behind their thinking.

14. mmoetc

mmoetc Well-Known Member

No, you've repeatedly argued that locals, including rich home owners around a certain bay, are unsuited to make such decisions.

15. krackin

krackin Well-Known Member

You can be a local, doesn't make you a native. We always keep an eye on 'you people'. You're still from 'away' and moved here because y'all screwed up where you were.

hunter63 likes this.
  16. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

I was told when I first moved here I wouldn't have any trouble because I had Family in the Area and was Raised here I already knew the rules. First thing never call the Law, second Rule always have a Firearm handy.

Well I broke rule number one, had people try to burn me out and threaten my Life, kept me alive them knowing I'm crazier than them.

big rockpile

17. hunter63

hunter63 Well-Known Member

There seems to be a different definition of local.....that doesn't really make a lot of difference.

What makes the difference on votinfg is "primary residence"

As a land and dwelling owner in a township....that I pay the taxes to... as well as assessments of those taxes....I can not vote...
    Very simple ....I don't live there........Full time.

Have been around since 1989.....and having my usual set up at the saloon....know a lot of people, take part of a lot of events....I'm still a city guy....make no difference.

If I did live there full time ..primary resident....city guy of not.....I can vote there....
    But not at the city house....because that would no longer be my permanent residence.

I'm sure most everyplace else is pretty much the same.

You don't want people the don't ..live there...Making the rules..

18. AmericanStand

That's not true and even if it was don't the rules prohibit importing arguments from other threads ?

19. mmoetc

mmoetc Well-Known Member

Report me.

But doesn't your OP do the same in its first line?

20. AmericanStand

Certainly not. Rather than add a lot of thread drift it seemed a better idea to examine how people define a term in it's own thread.