Who all likes to squirrel hunt and ........

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by r.h. in okla., May 4, 2005.

1. who all likes to eat them? What's your favorite method of bagging squirrels? What's your favorite method to cook them? When does your squirrel season open? and close? What's your limit? When was the first time you went squirrel hunting? How many years have you been squirrel hunting?

The first time I ate squirrel I was 5 years old. A cousin and his new bride came down and spent the night with us. The next morning he got up early and went squirrel hunting behind our house and killed two squirrels. Mom fixed up a big pot of squirrel and dumplins and from that point on I've been hooked on hunting and eating squirrels. 40 years later I still get excited when squirrel season is nearing. I'll hunt them just about anyway you can, from still hunting, stand hunting to hunting with dogs. I like to shoot them with a 22 rifle, using 22 shorts, aiming for the head. But I do use a shotgun once in a while for those fast little grey squirrels. I like to fry the young ones and make dumplins with the old ones. Last year I introduced my daughters (ages 11, 7, and 4) to squirrel hunting and they are excited to start squirrel hunting this year.

Our season starts May 15th and last through the end of January. Limit is 10 daily and 20 in possession at home.

2. RedneckWoman

RedneckWoman Well-Known Member

I love to squirrel hunt. I prefer a shotgun with number four shot. Never used dogs for squirrel hunting but my brother won't leave the house without one. My dad started taking me hunting when I was about 7 or 8 years old and have been hooked ever since so I've been hunting about 17 or 18 years. I need coffee here lol.

Our season opens the second weekend of October and runs until the end of January. Daily limit is six, possession limit is twelve, no season limit.

Fried squirrel, bbqed squirrel, squirrel dumplings, squirrel gravy, squirrel and rabbit stew..............Doesn't matter, I will eat just about anything lol.

3. doc623

doc623 Well-Known Member

Did you ever 'bark' squirrls?

4. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

''barking'' squirells involves shooting next to them with a heavy calibre rifle slug & hoping that the wood splinters will kill them. The reason for this is that a .50 or .58 cal bullet won't leave much meat on an animal as small as a squirell. Good Luck!

5. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i was going to talk about squirrel gravy but someone beat me to it.:)

first time i ever had squirrel gravy i was young, newly married and pregnant. those bodies looked exactly like floating fetuses to me. i kept cooking them a bit, putting them in the fridge because it couldn't take it anymore, then taking them out and trying again. took me 3 days to get them cooked. once i picked the meat off the bones and made gravy, it was good.

there's not a lot of good i can say about my ex, but he did keep the freezer full of game, year round. wild meat is still my favorite meat. except bear. i never got a taste for it.

6. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

My favorite way to catch squirrel is to ask my darling FIL to bag some. :) He's nice that way.

The way DH prefers his squirrel is fricasseed with dumplings. And I KNOW he has to like it, because he has learned not to say something is good unless he wants to see it again. ;)

I use sage and thyme in the gravy. Mmmmm!

Now, of course, I am hungry, even though I just had dinner a short while ago.

Pony!

7. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

I love to squirrel hunt. In the fall I am more apt to use a shotgun because I'm shifting into rabbit hunting mode and I prefer a shotgun for rabbit hunting. In the summer I tend to use my stainless ruger 10/22 with a 3x9 scope when I am stalking. For just staking out a fence line or stand of food sources I haul out my scoped remington 513T matchmaster .22 caliber match rifle. The rifle is so heavy you really don't want to stalk with it but for sniping squirrels from a fixed position is is great fun. It is murderously accurate and with the long, heavy barrel it is surprisingly quiet. I will sit quietly in a well camouflaged position and sometimes use a squirrel bark call to get them to show themselves. More often than not I use the scope on its higher setting to scan the tree branches for a squirrel loafing on a branch. With the Remington I can split squirrel noggins at pretty good distances. The ruger while accurate, isn't in the same league as the remington obviously.

One of my favorite ways to eat squirrel is to roast one over hickory and brush it with BBQ sauce. Squirrel salad is good too. Just use squirrel (or rabbit) instead of chicken in your favorite chicken salad recipe.

8. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

No one hunts in this crazy suburb (we are moving rural in June). Squirrells
    are everywhere. A few times in the fall, we actually put out a pile of walnuts (in shell) and have fun watching them stuff them in their mouth, carry them and hide them for winter.

We have family of skunks under the shed, we don't both each other.

We have racoons, haven't seen them for a bit.

We have possums, bunnys, even wild turkey.

You would all have easy pickings down here, but alas it's illegal to fire
    a firearm in a suburb like this.