whitefly - any suggestions

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by fishax, May 2, 2006.

1. fishax

fishax Member

We have plastic green houses with good ventilation but every summer are invaded by swarms of whitefly - have tried sticky strips (caught every airbourn insect except whitefly) and chemical warfare - does anyone have any suggestiosn please? We chock on the blihgters when harvesting produce.

New Zealand west coat - max temp 25C and min 0 with occasional frost.

2. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

Ladybugs (ladybirds, in Britain).

3. hisenthlay

hisenthlay a.k.a. hyzenthlay

I hope you get some good answers, because I had whiteflies this winter on the plants I brought inside, and it was awful.

Here's what the books and everything seems to say--
    1) Put out a bright yellow sticky trap, because the whiteflies are attracted to yellow
    2) wipe off leaves and stems to remove larva, then spray whole plant with a mixture of water, dish soap, and vegetable oil. It is supposed to be toxic to them, and the oil is supposed to bog them down or clog their pores or something so they can't move or feed.

Neither of those things seemed to work for me, at least not very well. I just gave up on the plants that were the most afflicted, cut them down to the soil level, and put the pots outside for a couple hard freezes. That seemed to get rid of the flies, and now my potted mint seems to be growing back fine (the other plants didn't make it). The plants that weren't tooooo afflicted with the flies, I kept inside, and cut off any bits that had larva on it, and kept a close eye on them every day, and sprayed them with the mix described above about once a week, and they seem to be pest free now.

I heard that whiteflies often ride into greenhouses on pepper, eggplant, or tomato plants, so I'm not going to bring any of those inside anymore.