Whiteflies

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Dave, Jul 15, 2004.

1. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

Never had any problems with whiteflies but they're having a good year. I've been fighting these things for 3 months now. Nothing seems to even make a dent in them.

I've tried a few natural remedys, then bug-b-gone(which they seemed to love) and finally stepped up with malathion-plus which seems to kill them on contact but the next day I still see dozens of them. I've made sure to get the underneath side of the leaves where they hang out. Even spraying every other day for the past week hasn't stopped them.

They've pretty much killed off all my morning glory annuals which should be over 20 feet high by now if not for these whiteflies. Really taken the joy out of my flower gardening this year. They've pretty much sucked the life out of them to the point where they're beyond saving. Otherwise I'd get blooms from them til December.(zn 9)

I really didn't want to use any pesticides and I can't think of anything stronger than malathion. Short of just writing it all off and finding a flamethrower, is there anything else I can try?

2. kathy H

kathy H kathyh

Chemicals wont work any way the have been resistant for about ten years now. There is a wasp? predator which kills them check www. arbico.com.

3. diane

diane Well-Known Member

Although it is a bit pricey.........Pyola from Garden's Alive works well for me both inside and outside.

4. primal1

primal1 Well-Known Member Supporter

damn them whiteflies!

I've never had them outdoors but I did get them indoors. Since then I have been developing a safe pest prevention spray that does work on spider mites and white flies indoors... I am still working on an outdoor equivalent but it won't be ready for a while yet.

Before my spray I used to use Neem oil, which worked quite well.

20' morning glories WOW! I sure wish my summer was long enough for that! Have you ever grown Moon flowers, they are similar to morning glories except the 6" white flowers that open for the night and close for the day... I'm trying some for the first time:D.

5. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

Kathy, I'll look into that. None of the wasps I have around here seem to be interested in them as far as I can tell.

Diane, thanks. I will try that.

Primal1, yes 20 feet. I usually had them 20 feet + in southeast Pennsylvania too, climbing up kitestring tied to the top of the chimney on a 2 story house. Some of them I grow here in CA are wild morning glories, purples and pinks that came from PA. The rest are mostly heavenly blues and I did try some scarlet red but they've yet to bloom(planted last month) and probably won't if these whiteflies don't let up.

I've grown moonflowers though none this year. They give off a a real nice fragrance at night.

6. primal1

I'm somewhat a night owl so the moonflower is really appealing to me and i'm glad to hear about their fragrance. So would I be correct in assuming that the moonflowers would rely on creatures like moths to pollinate?

i think now i want a night garden, anybody know of other plants that do their thing at night?

We have some wild morning glories but they seldom get more than 5 feet, though I have never tried to cultivate them. store bought mine usually get about 10 feet max... I so need a greenhouse!

7. diane

diane Well-Known Member

The daturas bloom late in the evening and they really have a strong fragrance. The blooms are similar looking to a moonflower (the white ones I am growing this year) but much larger and they last until about noon the next day. In order to have moonflowers here I have to start them inside in the early spring. I do the same thing with morning glories and mine grow really tall like Dave's. One year we put a very large and tall pole up and ran string down all around it......looked like a huge tepee......and it was so gogeous. Wish I had had a digital camera then so I could post a picture. This year I went wild and order seed for six different kinds of morning glories besides my usual heavenly blues. Just a couple have bloomed yet, but should be fun when they all start.

Oh.......evening primrose is another evening bloomer.

8. primal1

Thanks diane
    I started a new thread titled Nocturnal Gardens http://homesteadingtoday.com/showthread.php?p=482368#post482368

I might not have started my moonflowers early enough they are still only about 2 feet. We are having a good wet spell so if i'm lucky they will have a growth spurt... i'll be happy even if i just get one flower.