White Sweet Potatoes

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Highland, May 9, 2006.

1. Highland

Highland Well-Known Member

Have any of you all ever grown them? If so,how are they to eat?

Thanks
    Highland

2. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Guest

I'm not all that fond of the white sweet potatoes. The Nancy Halls and such are productive enough, and they are sweet, but they don't have the same flavor to me as a good deep orange tater. Others may feel differently though.

There is one specific variety though that I'm very interetsted in and that is Sumor. It's a white sweet tater that isn't sweet. It is reputed to be a near replacement for Irish taters when grown in the Deep South in that after it's been stored for a while the flavor and texture are supposed to be very similar.

The only place I could find any starts last year was Sandhill and they ship theirs in May so by the time I got them it was blazing hot already and they didn't do much for me. But neither did some slips of other varieties that I know do well here that I planted at the same time. I think had I been able to plant them earlier so they would have been well established by the time it got really hot they'd have done a lot better.

I didn't try to find any more starts for this year as they had predicted a drought so I cut the garden size way back. Next year though I'm going to try them again.

.....Alan.

3. Tabitha

Tabitha greenheart

my mother in law grew them all the time. we liked them a lot better than the orange varieties. I was wondering why they are called "white" as they have a greenish tinge. The ones mom raised had a more mealy texture than the orange varieties. Unfortunately she had to quit gardening and did not keep propagating her "sweet taters". I hope I come across some.

4. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i like them. never noticed a greenish tnge. the ones my neighbor grew had pale yellow flesh, are on the small size, with a milder taste than other sweet potatoes.

5. Tabitha

Tabitha greenheart

different variety I suppose. where do you get your slips marvella? I do hope someone has kept propagating the ones mom grew. and yes, they definitely had a green tinge to them.

6. Highland

Highland Well-Known Member

A nieghbor of mine has agreed to give me a couple of slips of his.The ones he has have been in his family well over a 100 years.He is getting older and I couldnt belive it when he finally said he would part with a couple(he thinks i am a pertty good feller!LOL).I guess that would make them hierloom,right?Any tips on growing them?
    Thanks
    Highland

7. Jack in VA

Jack in VA Well-Known Member

I tried them once and didn't like them. I don't think they're as nutriciuos as the orange ones.

8. marvella

local co-op carries them. also noticed several different varieties in seed catalogs. this year i am growing beauregard and puerto rico, both orange varieties.

9. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Guest

These folks have done right by me in the past and they supply some of the seed catalogs.

http://www.sweetpotatoplant.com/

Good growing tips to be found on the site. I'm trying Beauregard this year myself if they'll recover enough from the rabbit attacks to grow. Never had so much rabbit trouble as I've had this year.

.....Alan.

10. marvella

after i got to thinking about it today, i think i those white potatoes DO have a green tinge to them. i just never thought about the color that way before.

rabbits aren't bothering my sweet potatoes (knock on wood) but so far i haven't figured out a way to keep them out of the cabbage and green peppers. (sorry about the drift.)