white onions in containers?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Marsh, Mar 27, 2004.

1. Marsh

Marsh Well-Known Member

I just planted some white onion seeds. They look like green onions. they are Lisbon white onions. It said good for container gardens. I planted then in a one gallon pot with potting soil. Do you think I have a prayer of them doing anything? I thought they would be nice to have on the patio near the bar b que to use in salads. Or will they grow indoors in the kitchen? I thought this would give our 6 year old somethig to look forward to watching grow.

Thanks for any input
    Marsh

2. Miz Mary

Miz Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

Hey Marsh !!
    Were they little bulbs, or seed ? I just learned with the bulbs, that if you plant them deep they willbe green onions, if you plant them shallow they willbecome actual onions !!
    Let the wee one grow radishes !!! They sprout and grow fast,since young ones are in a hurry to see results !!

3. Marsh

Marsh Well-Known Member

They were seeds and they look from the outside of the package just like scallions LOL The kinda onions you chop and put in soups or salads and use use the top part. I only did them because I happened to find the seed packet in a draw. Can you grow radishes in containers? I mean we did have snow lastweekend LOL
    Marsh

4. Manny

Manny Well-Known Member

They are probably "Lisbon White Bunching" and will not form bulbs even if planted in the ground. They will grow in a pot quite well, just like chives, and their ultimate size will depend on how thickly you sowed them and how much you fertilize them. They will be most productive if you have the pot on your patio. Radish, not the big oriental one, is ok in pots also, just space the seeds out about an inch or more apart.
    Bill

5. TnMtngirl

TnMtngirl Well-Known Member Supporter

I never throw away an onion,if it begins to rot or discolor I plant it in my big flower planter.You can have little green onions year round this way.I have the planter close to the back door,they never freeze out.good luck with yours,I have never planted onion seed.I have heard never to hoe them or use fertlizer around them in the garden.Never had any luck growing big onions to keep all winter.So the flower pot works ok.

6. Marsh

Marsh Well-Known Member

I want to give the radishes and such a try in pots. What kinda of medium do you use to grow them in?? Potting soil, garden soil, outdoor soil, seedling soil????

Marsh