White nat-looking bugs?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mellba, Apr 18, 2006.

1. mellba

mellba Well-Known Member Supporter

One of my windows has thousands of tiny white nat-looking bugs on the screen and many dead ones on the bottom of the window. The odd thing is this is a double window and they are only on one of the windows, not the other. Does anybody know what they are? There is a boxwood bush in front of the windows and it is dying, but the bush is in front of both windows. They've been there several days. I cleaned up the dead ones in the window one day and a bunch were back the next day.

2. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

Do they have wings?
    Any bug with wings is the adult stage. If they have wings it could be a white fly (duh). They can originate from a floor drain, disposal, or house plants. Bleach and a brush would eliminate the drain/disposal breeding site, repotting the plant or discarding it would solve the plant possibility.

3. drysdales

drysdales Member

Same thing happened at my office last year. Landlord called exterminator who said they were termites.

4. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

Based on the description of "gnat sized" I would say it probably isn't termites. If they have wings, termites would not be white, but darker and larger than gnats. Worker termites are whitish and about the size of a grain of rice without wings.

5. fricknfarm

fricknfarm Well-Known Member

Probably white flies from root maggot. Potted plants, have you gotten any new plants or cuttings??
    had these myself years ago hard to grt rid of. Good luck

6. mellba

mellba Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm pretty sure they aren't termites because we had termites swarm at our last house and they were lots bigger and not totally white like these things. They do have wings and they are very tiny. I don't have any potted plants. They are coming from outside because they are stuck to the outside of the screen. The only thing I can figure is that they have something to do with the dying bush in front of the window. There isn't a drain nearby. Maybe we need to cut down and haul off that dying bush. It is just strange that this is a double window and they are only on one side. I went outside and examined the bush and didn't see any on it but didn't see any anywhere out there except on the window screen. It is odd about that boxwood. It is about as tall as me (5'8"), so it has got to be old and it just started dying. First a little spot, and now the dead places have spread to take up almost half. I'll just keep that window closed for now. Thanks for the replies.