White mold on summer squash?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by WildernesFamily, Sep 13, 2006.

1. WildernesFamily

WildernesFamily Milk Maid

Okay, as I have lamented before, my first veggie gardening attempt this year was pathetic, but one summer squash survived and has been doing gloriously! It is huge and has about 9 squashes growing with no end in sight as to how many more we may get from this one plant.

Just recently I noticed white mold on the leaves though, covering just about the whole leaf and appearing on the top and bottom side of the leaves.

Does anybody know what this may be, and how I can rid the plant of it? Also, is it specific just to summer squash or could it spread to other plants in the veggie patch? Will it eventually affect the actual squashes?

2. BeckyW

BeckyW Well-Known Member

It is mildew. Summer squash is very suseptible to it. I've never had much luck saving a plant once it gets it. Cut away all the diseased part. I usually just rip it out and call it a day.

Hopefully someone else has better advice for you.
    BW

3. WildernesFamily

Thanks Becky. I just went outside and removed all the diseased leaves... I was wrong in my assumption, there's probably around 20 baby squashes on that plant.. since it's the only thing we were really successful at I'm loathe to destroy the entire plant :Bawling:

I wonder if spraying hydrogen peroxide on the remaining leaves will help. :shrug:

My daughter and I were fascinated to discover that the leaf stems are hollow! You learn something new everyday :)

4. motivated

motivated Well-Known Member

I just had the same problem. I read online to spray them with 2tbsp of baking soda, and a drop of fish emulsion ( to help it stick to the leaves) in a spray bottle of water. I tried it but can't tell if it is working yet.
    Jodi

5. Step

Step Well-Known Member

Baking Soda should work and right now I'm using Organic Apple Cider Vinegar diluted to a weak solution.

From what I've read, the Powdery Mildew only affects the leaves and not the plant itself. However, if you have no leaves left then I can't fathom that the plant will be healthy.

I've been spraying the leaves every few days for the past several weeks, and so far, so good. I strip off the infected leaves... But, only spray the plant before or after the strong sun comes out... and it was also suggested that too much Baking Soda or Vinegar can adversely affect the roots.... so, I usually give the plants a hefty watering. In all probability, am into a catch 22! Water creates the mildew.... vinegar solution needs to be flushed from the soil. It's September, most of the growing season is over....

The Chipmunks have a good supply of tomatoes for the winter and the
    powdery mildew is having a good ole time with the summer squash.

Had success with rooting lots of Rosemary..... so I guess not all is lost! Hopefully you'll be able to enjoy your summer squash!

6. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

Dilute some milk and spray it on there. Works!

7. MoonShine

MoonShine Fire On The Mountain

Seems like all of my squash plants get moldy towards the end of the season. Even if they're still producing,they'll get the white spots and sometimes they'll start to develop blossom end rot as well.

8. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

You can use neem oil for powdery mildew, it works pretty well if you catch it fairly early and stick with it.

I've heard diluted milk works like a charm, too, but I've not tried it yet myself.

9. WildernesFamily

I'll have to keep all the other suggestions in mind in case I need them again in the future.

On Wednesday I cut off all diseased parts and then made a watered down hydrogen peroxide solution and got all areas of the plant, top and underside of the leaves. The HP is suggested to prevent "damping off" of seedlings, so I figured it may work. So far so good, no new white spots. If they appear again I'll try some of the other suggestions.

LOL Step, I know how you're feeling! The only thing other than the squash that was REALLY successful was the Oregano, Parsley, Basil and Chamomile. A friend said I should just stick to herbs and forget about the veggies. :p