White matter from nose- is it snuffles? Help!

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by InHisName, Apr 27, 2006.

1. InHisName

InHisName Well-Known Member Supporter

Can anyone help with this bunny situation? I have a litter of Californians that are 41/2 weeks old. A couple of days ago I noticed a matted eye on one- put neosporin on it for 2 days, looks better, now he ( I think its the same one!) has white mucus in a nostril. I immediately seperated him from the litter, and gave him a bit of terramycin.(10 grams) Do not know the dosage, as it is not on the pkg- can anyone give right dosage? The doe had a bit of a "cold" when I got her home- but it seemed to go away. I occassionally hear sneezing from the group- but this is the first one like this. What Can the little guy be seperated from mom at 41/2 weeks? Do I need to give him formula? Once it clears up, can he be put back with the group? Should I give the group a dose of antibiotics just in case? This is our first rabbit in 20 years- appreciate the input!!!!

2. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Okay... I'll stick my neck out although my experience is limited. At four and a half weeks, a bunny should be eating a fair bit of solid food if it is available. My young bunnies started nibbling as soon as their eyes were open and they could move around. I have a doe that kindles large litters (10-12) and ny the time the bunnies are four weeks old she is beginning to look rather worm down. So I remove the largest couple of bunnies to another cage and a few days later remove a couple more. They do just fine.

I have no experience of snuffles, but if you are in doubt I suggest your keep the bunny segregated from the rest. If it is a minor ailment. he will be okay. If it is serious, then at least you will have done what you can to protect the others.

3. InHisName

InHisName Well-Known Member Supporter

thanks! Wont worry so much! Found another little one with white matter at the nose- will move him out with the other. A website that gave the terramyacin dose was www.islandgems.net/meds.html - 1/4t per 32oz water. Says 10 days, not less than 5.

4. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

Islandgems.net is a good resource. At 4 1/2 weeks, he could be weaned. Unfortunately, white matter DOES sound like snuffles and your best bet would probably be to cull the animal, especially if it already had an eye infection. It is rather difficult to treat, and often even if the symtoms go away, the animal is still carrying the disease and may get sick again if it's stressed. At the very least, I would isolate any sick animals from their littermates and mom.

5. DazzleBunny

DazzleBunny Member

I sure hate to sound rude, as thats not my intention, but anytime someone asks about snuffles it really raises my ire.
    Im am pretty darn sure your doe DOES have it, and so do ALL the babies. Put them all down, even the seemingly healthy ones. Snuffles IS NOT NOT NOT curable! You can mask the symptoms for a while with antibios, but thye will always have it.
    Disinfect the cage, and any thing that came into contact with them. If it didnt spread to the others yet youre lucky.
    If I think any of mine even might have it- gone. Not worth it when there is a million rabbits out there.
    Now I show, but I wouldnt want to be eating ones that had been sick either!
    Just my 2 cents.
    Stephanie

6. Honorine

Honorine Carpe Vinum Supporter

There are a number of different strains of pasteurella multocida, some far more devastating than others. InHisName your doe most likely has a less deadly form of it, and yes all the babies have probably been exposed to it. There are other bacteria which can cause the same sort of symptoms, only way to know for sure is to have a culture done. If that culture came back positive I would cull the doe, the babies and check my other rabbits for it. While you may not have a really bad strain of pasteurella, like the one that wiped out my rabbitry when I was a kid its still not something I would want lurking in my rabbits. I do not know if you could raise the kits to size and butcher and eat them, as I do not eat rabbit meat. I don't know if it would be a healthy thing to do. I would not keep the babies for breeders, or their mother, as they would be carriers. So sorry!