White Boer goats

Discussion in 'Goats' started by crowinghen, Sep 13, 2006.

1. crowinghen

crowinghen Well-Known Member

Can a purebred Boer goat be all white with no red?
    I'm not asking about the Standard, just if it's possible. Not an albino or anything just tan/white.
    Thanks!

2. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

nope, seriously doubt it, the red head and white body is the base for boer genetics and is dominant over most EVERYTHING eles, you can get some all white goats from SOME crosses but you still just have a cross and as soon as you start beeding back to boer to increase the percentage the markings come back,

there have been all black and all red boers developed, but no white

3. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

Yea, are you sure it's pure? I've had all whites with my 15/16s.

4. crowinghen

No I'm not sure it's pure, I was told it was but I wasn't sure which colors Boers came in. I thought perhaps the Red head was just the most popular paint job :)

Susie

5. Thatch

Thatch Well-Known Member

You'll see pure reds, paints and the traditional red head (there are a couple people working on blacks as well) but no whites that I know of.

J

6. cayenne47

cayenne47 Critter Mama Supporter

i have a boer/nubian cross doe that is pure white, except for 2 little dark spots right in front of her horns.

7. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

The Savanah is a white meat breed.....I mean a white, meat bread. I think. I've seen pictures anyway.

Ruth

8. Milk n' Honey

Milk n' Honey Well-Known Member

Kiko goats are a white meat goat but you can tell them apart from a Boer by their interesting horn set. If you have a Boer that is white, I'd guess it to be part Saanen. They turn out to be solid white most of the time, especially if it is 50/50. Can you post a picture? I notice that many times, the Saanen/Boer crosses will have ears that are a bit shorter and hang out sideways a bit. That may not always be the case. I would consider that this person either has been told that this is a Fullblooded Boer or that he doesn't know goats very well and just thinks it is. I would most likely not believe it. If you are interested in it for a commercial herd, it might still be OK. Just don't count on it being a Fullblood Boer and probably not Purebred either and make sure you don't overpay. BTW...I was told that the white gene is always dominant and so far, that has been my experience (little as that may be). :) Take care now!!

9. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

there is more differint between a Kiko and a BOer besides Horn set, compairinga Kiko to a Boer is like compairing grapes to Apples

10. Milk n' Honey

I should have said..."the most obvious difference" and "in my opinion."

11. Faithful Heart

Faithful Heart Well-Known Member

I've seen pictures also of a white south african goat - the Savannah - that is shaped just like a boar.

12. crowinghen

Well, I'm getting this guy for free, healthy and hearty! So it doen't matter to me if he's purebred or not. I was just wondering if it was some lesser-known coloring. I'm going to breed him to my Nubian does for meat goats. I'll post pictures soon!
    Thanks,
    Susie

13. Milk n' Honey

Beth, I've never heard of Savannah's. I'll have to look them up! Are they available around the US?

Susie, What a bargain!! If you just want a good meat producer, who cares right? I'd love to see pics!!

14. Faithful Heart

Faithful Heart Well-Known Member

There isn't much about them on the internet, especially anything in the US.

15. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

He'll probably taste just as good as one with a red head :rolleyes:

16. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

The only thing I found was that the ones with the red heads sell better at auction, even if the lighter head is a better goat. I have a fantastic looking solid right now that is nicer then the red heads that I know will bring less money. I forgot what the term is... "power of suggestion"? Well, whatever, the buyers always perk up a bit when they see the Boer red head.

I personally passed a light headed buck this year because of that. Although he may not pass that trait onto the kids, I would still be selling him at the end of breeding season.

But hey, free is definitely good.