white asparagas

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by arnoldw, Jun 4, 2004.

1. arnoldw

arnoldw Well-Known Member

Well I dont know if there is a difference but the family is sending a hybrid frence Aspargas seeds. Im going to start them in potting soil then move them to acre by them self. Im going to transplant them this fail. Thanks everyone. Arnold

2. lacyj

lacyj Well-Known Member

I think that white asparagas, get that way, from being covered with straw, so that they don't get sunshine...

3. Michael83705

Michael83705 Well-Known Member

Not the cooking kind, but where you put a blancher or other device that stop sunlight over the plant :> I have seen nice traditional pottery ones, but anything will work.

~Michael in Boise

4. MOgal

MOgal Well-Known Member Supporter

I grow a lot of asparagus that I sell through a natural food store and direct markets and one of the purchasers was a lady who moved here from Germany. She asked if I ever grew the white asparagus. I had seen an episode of "The Victory Garden" where the presenter did cover regular asparagus to keep it white. I related that to her but she said it was a particular variety. When I talked with her more, I learned that she was NOT a gardener FWIW. I tried a little that I blanched and didn't care for the flavor. It wasn't as sweet and was without the asparagus flavor. I wondered if it were a different variety but still blanched.

I can't understand that folks prior to current food transportation and refrigeration would blanch it and lose the extra food value after a long winter of storage veggies and such. Asparagus is one of the first cultivated fresh vegetables available in the spring, isn't it?