Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I dont know if there is a difference but the family is sending a hybrid frence Aspargas seeds. Im going to start them in potting soil then move them to acre by them self. Im going to transplant them this fail. Thanks everyone. Arnold

·
Registered
706 Posts
I think that white asparagas, get that way, from being covered with straw, so that they don't get sunshine...

·
Registered
78 Posts
lacyj said:
I think that white asparagas, get that way, from being covered with straw, so that they don't get sunshine...
Not the cooking kind, but where you put a blancher or other device that stop sunlight over the plant :> I have seen nice traditional pottery ones, but anything will work.

~Michael in Boise

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
I grow a lot of asparagus that I sell through a natural food store and direct markets and one of the purchasers was a lady who moved here from Germany. She asked if I ever grew the white asparagus. I had seen an episode of "The Victory Garden" where the presenter did cover regular asparagus to keep it white. I related that to her but she said it was a particular variety. When I talked with her more, I learned that she was NOT a gardener FWIW. I tried a little that I blanched and didn't care for the flavor. It wasn't as sweet and was without the asparagus flavor. I wondered if it were a different variety but still blanched.

I can't understand that folks prior to current food transportation and refrigeration would blanch it and lose the extra food value after a long winter of storage veggies and such. Asparagus is one of the first cultivated fresh vegetables available in the spring, isn't it?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts