Homesteading Forum banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
9,399 Posts
My son in law and I have a holiday tradition (July 4th, labor day, Turkey Day and Christmas) where one of us brings a new whiskey to sample during the get together. Pretty easy to learn what a good whiskey should taste like, and not all cheap whiskey is bad whiskey.

·
Premium Member
18,147 Posts
I would like to try three fingers of Shackleton's Whiskey (first photo). This whiskey was recreated from the bottles of whiskey that were left behind in the Antarctic by the Shackleton expedition in 1908 (second photo).

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I don't mind spending a chunk of money for good single malt, because a bottle lasts a long time, and I usually only drink scotch in the cool months, switching to rum in the summer. I like the Islays:

·
Registered
30,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Both of those Scotches are rated very well, and (I know price is a relative thing) priced very reasonably, where Scotches can go over $1,000.

When Pappy Van Winkle 20 Year goes on the market, it usually retails for under $100 a bottle. However, you must already be on a waiting list for the next release to get a bottle at that price, and if you wait to buy it otherwise you must pay a price reflecting the whiskey’s scarcity. If you haven’t planned ahead, expect a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle 20 Year Old Family Reserve to cost at least $190 per bottle.

I've seen folks pay over $500. Crazy.. It is good, and rated as good as it gets (A+), but no way would I pay that.

I have found these rating very accurate to my experiences.
https://whiskeyreviewer.com/whiskey-reviews/

·
Registered
9,399 Posts
I have been to the distillery in Frankfort, Ky. Very entertaining tours. I have stood in the warehouse right next to the barrels of
Pappy Van Winkle. I momentarily gauged the odds of rolling one, or two....to my truck 200 yards away.

·
Registered
30,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I have been to the distillery in Frankfort, Ky. Very entertaining tours. I have stood in the warehouse right next to the barrels of
Pappy Van Winkle. I momentarily gauged the odds of rolling one, or two....to my truck 200 yards away.
It is good whiskey, but in a side by side comparison, I like Woodford Double Oaked better.

My boss was a whiskey drinker, and folks gave him lots of good whiskeys. A few of us would gather from time to time to imbibe. It was great.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I will. I assume you mean it resembles Woodford.
According to a retired employee of Woodford Reserve and my husbands taste buds they are the same. Seems like there was something about the barrels used being different but I can't remember what it was. Maybe WR was aged in new barrels and OF then used those barrels or visa versa.

·
Super Moderator
13,621 Posts
Anyone know why purchasing used Jack Daniel Tennessee Whiskey barrels is so hard for individuals? It may apply to all American used whiskey barrels but when I heard it on the distillery tour in Lynchburg, the guide was only talking about the Jack Daniel barrels.

·
Banned
16,491 Posts
Anyone know why purchasing used Jack Daniel Tennessee Whiskey barrels is so hard for individuals? It may apply to all American used whiskey barrels but when I heard it on the distillery tour in Lynchburg, the guide was only talking about the Jack Daniel barrels.
Not if you have the cash, I guess.....

purchasing used Jack Daniel Tennessee Whiskey barrels

BTW, Kentucky Tavern ain't bad stuff, and it was cheap when I was young and used to like drinking it. ;):D
This was another favorite back in the day.
https://evanwilliams.com

·
Registered
161 Posts
Damn there are alot of whiskeys in the world. More than I knew. One that I like for sippin in George Dickel. Also, Tullamore D.E.W.

·
Super Moderator
13,621 Posts
farmerbrown,

The way the tour guide explained that the majority of their used charred barrels got sold to Scotch makers to age scotch in because the remnants of the Tennessee whiskey flavor added some little something to the flavor of the scotch.

The guide said some fire branded barrels found their way to furniture manufactures but those whiskey barrel themed furniture was high dollar and the barrels were only available if the scotch distiller didn't buy all their barrels after a bottling.

·
Banned
16,491 Posts
farmerbrown,

The way the tour guide explained that the majority of their used charred barrels got sold to Scotch makers to age scotch in because the remnants of the Tennessee whiskey flavor added some little something to the flavor of the scotch.

The guide said some fire branded barrels found their way to furniture manufactures but those whiskey barrel themed furniture was high dollar and the barrels were only available if the scotch distiller didn't buy all their barrels after a bottling.
I heard something like that on a British PBS show, but I don't remember if he specified JD distillery or just said they were getting used oak barrels from "the Americans" but knowing the pride of Scotsmen about their brew, I doubt they are looking for help with the flavor, lol.
It's true that using barrels that previously held whiskey is better than if it was "contaminated" with something less desirable, but I think the real reason is trees.
o_O
(Europe's been occupied for a long time and kinda small compared to us. They were running low on oak trees a LONG time ago.;))

·
Registered
9,399 Posts
Congress saw fit to pass a law that Bourbon cannot be called Bourbon unless 51% straight bourbon alcohol and produced in the United States.

Now that is Congress getting something done.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I've taken a liking to this lately,
Larceny_Bourbon.png

·
Banned
16,491 Posts
Congress saw fit to pass a law that Bourbon cannot be called Bourbon unless 51% straight bourbon alcohol and produced in the United States.

Now that is Congress getting something done.
Not exactly correct, but unless one is a bourbon connoisseur, we wouldn't expect you to know all that.
;)
Bourbon can be made anywhere but some states like Kentucky have the only rights to put that name on their labels.
i.e. Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey, Tennessee Whiskey, etc.
The other technicality is 51% of it is made from corn. THAT'S what makes it "Bourbon".
:D

·
Registered
30,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
How to make cheap whiskey mo better

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Jack Daniel's #7 or George Dickel #12. That's in moderation !!!

41 - 60 of 75 Posts