Homesteading Forum banner

21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
30,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I found this review of Woodford Reserve Double Oaked spot on - Check out your favorite, post a snippet like I did and say if you agree. Please.

Woodford Reserve Double Oaked is phenomenal. From the nose it’s clear you’re smelling something special. There are the traditional bourbon notes here, but what jumps out is honey and big spice with deep cinnamon, clove, and oak. The entry is very soft, surprisingly so given the strong spice on the nose. As it opens you get deep honey notes, vanilla, cinnamon, clove, and marzipan. The flavors here are immensely deep, rich, and lush. The finish is super long and thick without any harshness or burn.

On one hand, with such bold flavors you’d think that the Woodford Reserve Double Oaked would be an enthusiasts whiskey, but it isn’t. Double Oaked is so balanced, lush, and lovely that it’s extraordinarily accessible, even to the whiskey novice. The flavors of Double Oaked are big and bold but not overly agressive, and the mouth feel is smooth, thick, and round. It’s a downright impressive whiskey and could really help continue to propell the premium bourbon category. At $40 its higher than some of the other offerings in this space, but the quality is simply on par with many of the great single malt scotches on the market at twice the price.

https://www.drinkspirits.com/bourbon/woodford-reserve-double-oaked/

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
39,783 Posts
Originally only available in five counties in Central Texas, but as production increased, so has availability.

The “first and oldest legal whiskey distillery” in the state of Texas prides itself on producing a unique wheated-bourbon using locally sourced, organic ingredients (some they grow themselves). The exception to this is the barley that hails from the Pacific Northwest and Canada. Aged 3 years in full-sized barrels, this is a small batch, straight bourbon.

·
Banned
30,992 Posts
Reactions: siberian1

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Brown liquor always made me feel bad with headaches and such, but then, when I did drink, I was a throw the cap out the window type of guy. I always stuck to the clear stuff, usually vodka. Senators Club got the job done, and it was priced right, but I always enjoyed the nice warm after bite of Everclear. It would keep you nice and warm on a winters day.

·
Registered
30,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Our first Scotch drinker

·
Banned
30,992 Posts
Macallan 12 is what I choose when I can afford it. Jack Daniels when I can’t.
Mr. Pixie likes an occasional Scotch, I'm definitely not a fan. He's working on Auchentoshan American Oak right now.

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
I'm not much of a whiskey drinker, but I've had this and it's good.

Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve 9 year old

"For Knob Creek, however, it's their time to shine. This robust, smokey, and easygoing NY-born bourbon is perfect for sipping—low-key, and aged to perfection."

https://www.thrillist.com/vice/11-best-american-whiskies-greatest-bourbons-in-the-usa#
I don't care for any hard liquor but my nephew brought this out one winter years ago, that whiskey with two hits of pot will put you to bed.

·
Premium Member
18,147 Posts
My favorite is free whiskey at a friend's house.

No matter what whiskey you enjoy, you should know how to drink it correctly....(the youtube link below actually works)

·
Premium Member
5,705 Posts
Something about Jack will make me sick as a dog. Bottle or a sip, within 24 hours I'll throw up my toenails.

·
Banned
30,992 Posts
I don't care for any hard liquor but my nephew brought this out one winter years ago, that whiskey with two hits of pot will put you to bed.
I prefer a good quality tequila, but the Knob Creek was good.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
There's a little Rebel Yell in my glass this evening, not bad...

Reactions: HDRider

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
HDRider, try some Old Forester and see if you don't notice a very strong resemblance at a much reduced price.

·
Super Moderator
13,621 Posts
My preference is a drinkable straight sour mash 80 to 90 proof Kentucky bourbon aged 3 to 4 years minimum and as close to $20 per 1.75 liter. My current brand is Kentucky Tavern . Before what I currently prefer I enjoyed Kentucky Gentleman and Ten High before they switched to a low quality pop skull 51/40 blend. Although I find the bar brand affordable straight bourbons, I detest both the low quality former straights that have gone blended and the over priced low quality high proof rotguts that often charge $30 to $40 more for the shape of their bottle or cork under the cap instead of a screw on cap.

·
Registered
30,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
HDRider, try some Old Forester and see if you don't notice a very strong resemblance at a much reduced price.
I will. I assume you mean it resembles Woodford.

·
Registered
9,399 Posts
Old Potrero 18th Century Style whiskey. A whole lot of flavors in this baby, some in the beginning and some as it goes down.
Buffalo Trace is a good workingman's whiskey, good with pancakes, pie and most after work at home activities.

21 - 40 of 75 Posts