Whirlpool Tubs?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by big rockpile, May 20, 2005.

1. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

How many have one? What do you think of them?

I'm thinking it would be good on my Back and Joints.

big rockpile

2. chas

chas Well-Known Member

We looked into it for the same reason and decided since no one we knew had one to tell us about it good or bad we would try to eventually get a hot tub like some of our friends.
    Seemed to us the bathtubs took too much water to waste each time we took a bath. And the exspense was greater than the benefits.
    Like they say just my 2 cents.
    Chas

3. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

If you want a hot tub for your back get one big enough you can float on your back and not be all squished up

4. boxwoods

boxwoods Well-Known Member

I have RA and I got one for it. It works wonders on the pain in the joints. Once or twice a day when it's bad makes it so much easier to sleep nights. If you can do it, get one. mine pictured.
    [​IMG]

5. caberjim

caberjim Stableboy III

When we bought this place, there was one with the house. Traded it for a pickup truck after I found out the electricity for it in the winter ran around $150 a month.

6. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

:confused: This is not a Hot Tub it is just a straight Whirlpool.

I'm getting one wheather I need it or not.

big rockpile

7. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

Yes, we have one and wouldn't trade it.

We chose the air jet rather than water jet type.
    It doesn't have problems with mildew, doesn't need to be cleaned with
    toxic chlorines, and it has a heater so warm air coming in keeps the tub warm for a long time.
    When you drain it, the air jets come on again and dry out the lines.

8. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

Even though I wouldn't want to help Big Rocky, I suggest a whirlpool for the home bathtub. That is what we are getting, they are about $325 at HD. Even the ones for tall people. I got tired of driving to the rec center to use their hot tub.
    Others what don't like hot tub bills, can get a cedar "stove" tub that is heated by wood. Sounds cool.

9. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Hottub: always filled with water, always ready, can use as little or as much chemical as you want (we use very little chlorine treatment and nothing else), has hundreds of gallons of water, special care in cold winter climates (our electric goes up about $15 on round the clock cycle in winter-but heater is connected to our free gas. Easy to have outside under the stars.

Whirlpool: you fill it with water and use it once then drain it. No special winter care. Easy to have indoors as there is minimal steam/damp in comparison.. Enjoyment can be improved by having a large hot water tank if tub takes over 40 gallons to fill (like a two person-which friends have and they have an 80 gallon tank to compensate, so therefore pay to heat that all the time as well).

If you want it and can budget for it-get it. We love our hottub. Our friends like their whirlpool but have had no more or less problems than we have had with our hottub. They say it takes a while to fill the large tub up (a 2 person) and they sometimes wish it was outside to see the stars.

10. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

Everyone i know who has an indoor whirlpool tub, never uses it.

I have an outside hottub on our deck and it's incredible. We sit and look
    at the stars at night. We love it best when it's freezing cold outside.
    It's also great to sit in with friends and have frozen magaritas!

We leave it in 4 weeks when we move and i can't wait until we have another
    one someday!

11. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

I've got a good sized whirlpool bathtub and LOVE it. Really helps with my back and knees. I would recommend getting the biggest you can afford.

I've considered the outside hot tubs but they seem to be terribly expensive to run. If they didn't cost so much on the front side and the operating side I'd have one. Even with that I'm still considering it.

I'll admit that using someone else's hot tub, especially in a public area, sorta grosses me out. The idea of soaking in a bubbling cauldron of some else's genitalia and butt broth sorta makes me wanna shower with clorox.

12. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

We have a huge whirlpool bath (easily fits two adults) that we never use for two reasons. First, it takes two tanks of hot water to fill it. Need to wait for the hot water heater to fill and reheat in order to use it. Second, it isn't comfortable. There is not good back support if you sit with most of your body under the water and the jets hit in the wrong spots.

We will likely eventually replace this one BUT I'd look for a few key items. One would be a smaller, contoured tub that supported my back while the rest of my body was under the water. The next thing I'd look at was where the jets would hit when I was sitting in it. Many places will allow you to sit in the tub to sort of figure out what will be more comfortable. Take the time and sit there for a little bit and really think it through.

13. Conni

Conni Well-Known Member

We have a whirlpool tub in our mstr bath. We like it. My parents have even come over to use it before when they were sore. My kids of course love to take a bath in it. lol

Only thing that is a pain is that we have well water and if we go awhile without using it-- it shoots out a bunch of crud from the jets. ewwwwwww. Maybe I should clean it more? lol!!!

I would LOVE a hot tub out on the deck but dh says no way! :) Maybe if we move i can sneak one in at our next house. My sis and bil have on and I have asked them many times (over 10 yrs) if they are ready to sell it, they always say NO!! They like it alot. :)

14. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

We have a big whirlpool and as I calculate it the cost per use is somewhere around $250 per use. Wish I had never had it installed! I had rather have had another closet.

15. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

agmantoo, how did you come up with $250 per use.

16. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

We are on solar power and have a cedar hot tub heated by wood (Snorkel Tub). It sits in a clearing a little away from the cabin with a opening in the trees that looks out to the river. We have little candle holders around it in the trees. I can't even tell you the experience of sitting in that hot water on nights with the stove crackling, the candlelight, and the woodsmoke curling up through the treetops. A bottle of wine, and the kids in bed...life doesn't get much better.

17. OD

OD Well-Known Member

If you get one, try to get some jets at the end so they will be at your back. Ours are all on the sides & are useless for a sore back. We've had ours 5 years & have probably not used it more than 15 times. That's about $50 per use.
    It's nice, but not really worth the expense, in my opinion.
    Here's a picture of mine. See how the jets are all on the sides?
    [​IMG]

18. froggirl

froggirl Feelin' Froggy

Hi BRP,
    We don't sell a whole lot of jetted tubs but when we do, I tell our customers to either go with an American Standard or a Maax. Aquaglass has some good standard tubs, too...nothing fancy.
    When we built our current home 2 years ago I chose a Maax with their "backmaxx" feature along with 6 other jets....good power but not sufficient to do any deep massaging of the back but still very relaxing. Another thing to consider: when we plumb a home that will have a jetted tub, we HIGHLY recommend the homeowner install a water heater larger than the standard 50 gal. You WILL run out of water with a standard 50 gal. electric water heater.
    Side note: we're building our next house on 5 acres so we will have some nice privacy we don't have at our current home...so, we plan on getting a hot tub for the back yard and not a jetted tub inside. I always liked taking a tub in the great outdoors...plus I don't use my jetted tub enough to make it worth the cost.
    Hope that helps!
    --Jenn
    (plumber's wife)

19. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

That is one of the reasons we like our hottub, it is always ready to go and with our free gas, very affordable as on continuous circulation it adds only about $15 and most of the year it does not have to be continuous, you can set the timer. The view of the sky and the hills, its great. And there is very little maintenance.

Re: amount of water for a whirlpool tub....seriously consider a larger hot water tank. It made all the difference for our friends. But they have city water access and not well water and drain grey water into their pond.

20. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

VALENT
    With the cost of the tub and the 80 gallon water heater coming to an installed price of around $1500 and since we have used it 6 times that comes to $250 per use +-.