Whining goat (and other weird stuff)

Discussion in 'Goats' started by beckibell, Jul 13, 2004.

1. beckibell

beckibell New Member

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the whole goat owning thing ... I've had horses for years but this is my first experience with other hoofies.

My first two goats happened to be five week old bottle fed Nubians. I got a little more than I bargained for but have been fully enjoying myself so far ... except for a couple of little worries that I hope don't turn into big worries.

My two kids are twins, but one of them is growing much faster than the other. They are 10 weeks old now and I'm just cutting them back to one bottle of milk a day. One of them is still pretty lean and the other is getting fatter and fatter, though they both seem to be eating the same and the bigger one isn't bullying the smaller one away from his feed or anything.

In the past couple of days I've noticed the smaller one seeming a little less playful and a little more needy. He tends to stay right next to me when I'm out with them and he isn't jumping around and playing nearly as much as he did a couple of weeks ago. Also, he *whines*. Like a dog.

Now, I'm thinking the fact that he's just been cut back to a bottle a day may be what is affecting his behavior. Other than what I described above he seems healthy ... he has clear eyes, normal stools, and he is eating well. Between the two of them he is definitely the most upset at the weaning. He cries all morning and each evening after I leave them. I'm thinking that this constant worrying may be why he isn't gaining weight as well as his brother (metabolism thing?) and why he suddenly seems so needy. But perhaps it's something more sinister than that? Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Should I have him checked out by a vet to be sure?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long post!

Becki

2. BrushBuster

BrushBuster Well-Known Member

whining is probably nothing. i would probably worm them and give a cocci treatment. cdt shot also

3. Galloping Goats

Galloping Goats Active Member

Some people do not wean until 3 mo. Maybe this one just needs some more time. He may not be eating enough hay to get by without his bottle. If you are bottle feeding them both then you know one is not eating more than the other but I don't understand why one would not be growing well either. Unless he has loose stoll, which you said he doesn't hmmn. I would keep a close eye on that one.

4. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

I would get a fecal test for worms...if the smaller one is really getting the same amoutn of feed, the possibility exists of either cocci or a heavy worm load...the worms could be eating his food! That would also explain the whining - if he's hungry and isn't getting all of the nutrition he needs, he'll let you know.

Get them both a good wormer for your area (check with the local vet) and give a CDT shot, too. Repeat the wormer according to instructions (usually in 21 days).

If any signs of scours develops or other symptoms, get them checked out immediately.

And yes - they can be weaned at this point! I have two kids who barely noticed that we cut back the bottles (9 and 10 weeks old), they were so intent on the fresh hay every morning! :haha:

-Sarah

5. mamasaanan

mamasaanan Well-Known Member

Worm them NOW. I just lost my little Boer buck to a cocoxial (sp) infection. I am still heartbroken about it. Almost lost one of my little Saanan bucks. He went down hard, but fortunatly this time we had a vet who knew what he was doing. Little Earthday's Algore has been dewormed and antibioticed, plus I've been 'drenching' him twice a day with a concotion of nutri-drench, honey, and eggwhite. He's doing much better now, still a little shakey but it looks like he's out of danger.

According to the vet this year is going to be a bad one for worms and intestinal parasites because of all the rain we've been having. So worm early and often