Whining about the weather

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by countrygrrrl, Jun 11, 2004.

1. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

I just can't figure out how summer got here so quick. Suddenly, it's over 90 here every day with 900,000% humidity. It's nine at night and it's still over 90.

>rant rant< >whine whine< :waa: :waa:

Today, I was able to work outside for maybe 30-40 minutes at a time before becoming completely drenched in sweat --- so I'd come back inside and get something to drink AND DRY OFF! :no: This went on all day.

:rolleyes:

July is better than this --- then, at least it gets into the hundreds and is so hot, the humidy drops --- which makes the heat bearable.

2. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

You can take a back seat on this issue there, grrrl. It was so dry last fall, & so dry this spring, neighbors were stopping planting as the seeds weren't germinating. It was so cool, nothing was growing.

Now in the past 3 weeks, when we should be spraying crops & cutting/ baling alfalfa, it has rained 8". I have about 15% of my crop land under water - most likely lost. Another 15% is very yellow & sick - won't yield a thing. I can't get the weeds killed. I can't harvest my hay. This means I have already lost the 4th cutting, down to 3 now. This first one will be worthless just about hay - no quality to it. So i went from 4 cuttings of hay to 2. The cattle are having difficulty fiding dry to lay on, working up the pasture to a black mess.

Oh, what I would give for only humidity & some sweat!!!!!!!! That would _sure_ sound good to me!!!!!!!!!!!! Been sitting in the house for 2 weeks, watching the windows get wet. Tired of it. Very tired. Kind of on a short thread......

Be more than happy to trade with you. I figure I lost 1/2 my potential income - so far - this year already. And the yahoos sitting in Chicago say, hey, it's raining, makes good crops! and drop the crop prices by 1/4............

Do you still want to whine about your weather?

--->Paul

3. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

:eek: No, I don't. I'm really sorry to read this. :( We've had horrible rains here, but it's so hilly that it doesn't stick.

That's awful.

4. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..................Well folks, here in north texas we have had a very Temperate and mild spring and early summer. Normally , by june we are up to 95 to 98 degree's each day and the rain has stopped and I usually quit mowing by the 15th. We've had atleast 10 to 12 inches of rain but no flooding in my area. Most of the flooding here in Parker county is East of hwy 51 which runs from weatherford to springtown, tx. I'm sorry that some people had flood damage as it must be very stressful to have your whole lifestyle and home turned upside down. I, guess it makes US appreciate what we had previously taken for granted.
    ................cg , just think how good you'll look in your New Thong when you take your yearly Tequila sabbitical to Baja. Sweat...sweat....and mo' sweat....fordy... :eek: :)

5. Ann-NWIowa

Ann-NWIowa Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm loving our weather. Tornadoes to the north of us, tornadoes to the west, to the east and to the south BUT NOT HERE. What's not to love??

6. milkstoolcowboy

milkstoolcowboy Farmer

Paul,
    I hear you, and I hope your weather gets turned around some. In our part of Minnesota, any moisture deficit is now gone, and I'm still waiting to get out and put up first crop. Fields are going to take some time just to dry up, but most fields are still pre-bloom, so a lot of first-crop is going in the silo.

We got the corn in by the 28th of April (except for about 30 acres no-till) and finished planting beans on May 7. Some of the bigger operations out here haven't even finished planting corn!

I guess this is the year that buying federal crop insurance wasn't such a bad move, and I am sure glad I have about 12,000 square bales of 2002 + 2003 hay left in the sheds.

That drought from last summer seems pretty distant now! Hope the weather turns for the better, Paul, otherwise we are going to be haying with pontoon boats.

7. I really enjoyed the drought. I have pretty low land. Got 183 b/a corn - best ever. The sand hill was even 145 b/a!!!! My best $$$ year farming ever was 1988 - the drought that dad said made the '30s look mild. Had a lousy yield, but wow was there money in it! :)

With my low land, I do not like to plant too early. Got most of the corn in by May 5th, and waited until May 19th to really start beans. Neighbors can plant beans in April & look great. I get 10 bpa better beans planted June 15th than May 15th. Don't understand, but have to go with what works. :)

Sunny today. For now.

--->Paul