whilting squash

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by jkillen, May 31, 2006.

1. jkillen

jkillen Well-Known Member

All my squash are shriveling up and falling off. Seems like I had this problem last year and fixed it but I can't remember what I did. Anybody know?

2. rocket

rocket Well-Known Member

Is it the fruit or the leaves that are shrivelling up? If it's the fruit, my guess is that you're not getting good pollination. You might even try pollinating by hand. If it's the leaves that are wilting and the soil is still moist, then you might check to see if you have squash bugs.

3. jkillen

jkillen Well-Known Member

It's the fruit. I guess it could be pollination. The fruit seems to grow a bit before it starts to wilt.

4. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

If it's the leaves, then you may have been attacked by the squash vine borer.

If it's the fruit, you can hand pollinate. Sometimes it takes awhile for there to be enough males to pollinate the females. And the rain may interrupt when there are both viable males and females for pollination.

You may also spray with diluted milk for squash/cucumber fungus. Works for roses too.

5. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

I remember reading on article on that a long time ago. Was it supposed to be whole or skim milk, or does it matter? Do you know the dilution ratio?

Thanks,
    Pony!