Whidbey Island Washington

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by matt15, Mar 18, 2004.

1. matt15

matt15 Member

Anyone know how it is living there?They say it's not too rainy.I'm looking at renting a place on Goss Lake.Let me know what yall think.

2. jt_summie

jt_summie Guest

My brother lives in Oak Harbor, Whidbey Island. He works on planes for the navy, I guess they made the base there because of the sub threat during the cold war. It is a beautiful place, one of the most beautiful places I have seen in the WORLD, I have thought about moving up there. He says it dosen't rain very much, but it is always cloudy. His daughter when she was young had a lot of yeast infections because of the moisture.

3. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

I was stationed there for 2 years flying in A-6's. The weather is very damp and the noise is defening on fly days and worse during night ops.

4. snoozy

snoozy Well-Known Member Supporter

What's "too rainy"? Whidbey is great, tho' property tends to be relatively expensive, and then there's the question of employment.

5. frontiergal

frontiergal Well-Known Member

Grew up on fidalgo Island, the island that connects to whidbey by the bridge ,and it is wet . It is very wet for most folks but I love it and miss it. There's not alot of work on whidbey and it is fueled mostly by the naval base. I loved hearing the planes flying but then I go to as many air shows as I can, and love the blue angels:) Prices for land is expensive but worth it. If you have a questions I will try to help. Heidi

6. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) Here ya go! LOL Rainfall records for the Island:

https://www.npmof-wi.navy.mil/rainfall2003.htm

You might also send to the CC for brochures and contact the Extention Service for more info.

I understand that the island gets about half the rainfall of Seattle? Is that correct?

Good luck and get used to riding ferries. LQ

7. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

Yeah that's the place I was stationed!! :haha:

Now I remember why my plane always looked so clean and new when it was actually 25 years old.