Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you could only get these 3 types of feed for growing kids which would you get? BTW-The goats I'm refering to are kids out of show quality nubians.

16% Goat
A complete pelleted 16% crude protein 3.0% crude fat and 13% crude Fiber goat feed designed for growing and finishing goats. 16% Goat is available medicated with 20R (Rumensen®) or 18DQ (Deccox®) for the prevention of coccidiosis. Vitamins A, D and E work together for overall health and immune system response. Balanced for 2:1 Ca:p ratio and the addition of Ammonium Chloride helps prevent urinary calculi.
Here's a link to more information on it.

Here's the link to that feed, you can download the product information.
http://www.kentfeeds.com/Product-Selector/Sheep-and-Goat/AS700-Pellets-(1)-(1)-(10)-(1).aspx

20 Lamb DQ45
A complete pelleted 20% crude protein lamb feed for creep feeding lambs. Kent 20 Lamb DQ45 is formulated to get lambs eating dry feed early in the creep to optimize the lambs genetic potential for growth. 20 Lamb contains Deccox® for the prevention of coccidiosis. High levels of Vitamins A,D and E work together for overall health and immune system response. The addition of Ammonium Chloride helps prevent urinary calculi. No added copper and the addition of Sodium Molybdate help prevent copper toxicity.

Here's the link to that feed, you can download the product information.
http://www.kentfeeds.com/Product-Selector/Sheep-and-Goat/AS700-Pellets-(1)-(1)-(10-(11).aspx

First Rate Show Goat 18DQ
16% crude protein complete pelleted diet. Formulated for growing and finishing show goats. Incorporates multiple protein sources and energy sources along with highly absorbable minerals and vitamin fortification to optimize genetic potential of show goats. 3% crude fat for increased energy and bloom. Ammonium Chloride aids in the prevention of urinary calculi ( water belly). First Rate Show Goat 18DQ contains Deccox® for the prevention of coccidiosis. Feed at the rate of 2.5 pounds per 100 pounds of body weight to provide 22.7 mg of Decoquinate per 100 pounds of body weight.

The link for the production information for this feed doesnt work at the moment. I'm thinking about going into the KENT plant here in town and see if they have any information on this feed.

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
I wouldn't feed any, as they are all medicated... I don't like medicating where not necessary. I've never had a problem with cocci, and until I do I won't medicate. I do have di-methox on hand for eventualities, but idk if I like the idea of medicated feeds.
I don't creep feed my kids... Maybe in the future If I can get a good kid setup going I'll be able to creep feed them but for now, they're raised with the rest of the herd, lol, so creep feeding is out of the question... I've never been able to keep my does out of the feed unless it's behind a completely closed door, haha. When I do creep feed in the future, I won't feed anything other than what I feed my lactating/late pregnancy does : 6 parts purina, 2 parts Alfalfa pellets, 1 part BOSS, and 1 part SBP.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My nubian kids had lamb pellet 24/7. They are bottle raised though so I dont have to worry about the does getting into any of it.

I'm going to try to get some more information on the last feed, and get prices on this stuff to.

Thanks for your reply.

·
My kids have hooves
2,227 Posts
mygoat said:
what I feed my lactating/late pregnancy does : 6 parts purina, 2 parts Alfalfa pellets, 1 part BOSS, and 1 part SBP.
I feed mine the same mix, with the exception of SBP. For that matter, what IS SBP? :shrug:

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
I wouldn't feed any of them. For one thing I don't like pelleted feeds, rather I prefer whole grains. For another thing they are all medicated and I won't feed medication all the time. I would instead feed a mixture of oats(or barley), cracked corn, and a lot of alfalfa pellets(free-choice if your wanting maximum growth). Knowing what I'm feeding is a great comfort to me and I've noticed a huge change for the better in my kids since starting this type of feeding.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Those feeds are formulated for market animals. Market animals have a life expectancy of about 6-7 months. They are not for dairy goats. I'd sooner feed plain old cob.

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
My kids get alfalfa hay free choice; COB; BOSS; and loose goat mineral. I don't feed any of the pelletized feeds to any of my goats. And they all grow very well. (My reg. Ober buck weighed 132 lbs. at eleven months old.)

Kathleen

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Dairy kids get really nice alfalfa and are growthy and healthy.

Prebreeding I have given them a pellet with high amounts of copper and selenium, but it is alfalfa based. Size-wise and milk-wise, didn't see a substantial difference.

BTW, the kids raised on alfalfa only, when we went to a show, were always the largest or near the largest in their class (of course, some of this is genetics :) ).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.