Which would be more affordable????

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by ChristenaTN, Sep 8, 2004.

1. ChristenaTN

ChristenaTN Active Member

To purchase a pig to fatten and or more than one? We only needed one hog a year for slaughter to go into the freezer. So, would I be better served to get one and then grain and fatten him for slaughter? Or would it be better to go anothe route I wonder such as a couple ? ADvice for the pig impaired. LOL!~

2. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

Well, I can tell you what worked for us. We bought a 1 year old sow from a local(ish) farmer for $150.00. We rented a 4x6' trailer from UHaul for $10, filled it with hay from the barn, and trucked the old girl straight to the slaughterhouse. With slaughter, butchering, curing, transportation, and gas, the pig cost us about $2.00 per pound for the meat (about 150# of it), plus we had another 50# or so of lard to render and make soap. It took about a full day's work to make it happen (including the time to go pick up the meat when it was done). Sure beats committing to 6 months plus of twice daily care.

We figured that we couldn't raise one for that, even with the pretty regular supply of supermarket culls we had access to.

3. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

The best pork we ever butchered came from a 375lb sow. She was dried up and in decent flesh, but not very fat.

4. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

Our experience is to raise one or more for others and charge enough to cover the cost of raising one for us.

The total cost for our hog this year was $0.75 per lb in the freezer. This is a good price.

Also hogs seem to grow faster if there is more than one in a pen. IMHO

We free choice feed them and I only have to load feed maybe three time a week and we have an automatic waterer that we fill three time a week. No work no muss no fuss. I do have to say we enjoy raising them so it's not like work for us. And this year we only raised 5 so we don't raise that many. Small potatoes we are LOL

The rest of the time we devote to them is playing with them and checking to make sure they are healthy.
    Ours have a waller pit also and cover from the sun and wind and rain.

This year we had a pig formula ground for us at the local mill and stored it in 55 gal drums 1000lbs at a time. This helped also. No meds or hormones added.

5. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I think this has to figure into the equation even if it is directly cost-related. Wehn one really enjoys the pigs, the work is more rewarding. I really enjoy mine and so I not only raise them, I also breed them. There have been times it has felt too much like work but there are more times that I catch myself watching the pen as if it were a television set :)

6. Nik

Nik Well-Known Member

Siryet, you said you had a local mill grind up a pig formula for you. What did it cost you to get it done? What was the formula made up of?
    Thanks,
    Nik