Which types of jars from the grocery store fit canning lids?

Discussion in 'Preserving the Harvest' started by McDaid36, Sep 3, 2011.

1. McDaid36

McDaid36 Well-Known Member

It would be great to have a list of brand name items you can buy from the grocery store whose jars can be reused for canning. The only one I've found so far is Drew's Salsa. They fit regular mouth lids. Anyone else?

2. stamphappy

stamphappy Well-Known Member

When I went to the canning class at the extension office, they recommended not using jars in which you've purchased processed food. They said that the manufacturers of the jars don't make them to highest standards for multiple canning; they are a 'one time only' use.

That being said...Classico Pasta sauce jars fit the regular mouth lids but I don't know if they still do with the whole 'let's make everything smaller but charge you more' routine that's been happening.

3. PixieLou

PixieLou Well-Known Member

My store generic pasta sauce that comes in a bottle similar to classico fits regular lids. I personally like the pasta sauce jars since they are 24 oz - a size you can no longer purchase from Ball.

Marshmallow Fluff jars fit regular lids. They are a little bit larger than a pint.

4. fetch33

fetch33 Well-Known Member

I get the 3-pack of Classico sauce from Costco. It comes in a quart canning jar. I probably have 2 years worth of sauce on my shelf.

5. windblown

windblown Well-Known Member

pixielou found this site that has 24 oz jars
    www.containerandpackaging.com

6. PixieLou

windblown - great site - however their shipping is more than their jars. At $1.50 per jar - it's cheaper for me to buy the pasta sauce and dump it down the drain!

7. blynn

blynn Well-Known Member

Yay! I just found some old wide mouth mayo jars in a box of jars my hubby got from a coworker. They are perfect for freezing a couple jars of tomato sauce! Usually we freeze in food bags, but we are out.

8. PixieLou

I think I spoke a bit too soon. I was shopping today and the Marshmallow Fluff was in a plastic jar. Bummer.

9. terri46355

terri46355 Well-Known Member

Many years ago Ball made reusable one piece canning lids. I think they were call click-it. a coworker gave me some and the were great. Too bad we can't get those anymore.

10. suitcase_sally

suitcase_sally Well-Known Member Supporter

Try these. You don't have to buy the whole case. You can buy as many as you need.

http://www.fillmorecontainer.com/Lids/70G-CT-Gold-Retort-Plastisol.htm

11. calliemoonbeam

calliemoonbeam Well-Known Member Supporter

The Classico spaghetti sauce jars are safe for canning. They're even stamped "Atlas Mason" on the side and have the measurements embedded into the glass. They're 24 ounces, right between a pint and a quart. We had this discussion on these boards sometime in the past. Seems like there were a couple of others, but I don't remember now.

Del Monte refrigerated fruit (found in the salad/fresh vegetable cooler at the store) used to come in 24-ounce Ball jars and were safe for canning. But they switched down to 20-ounce jars about a year ago and, although they still look like the same quality jars (thickness, glass quality, etc.) they're not stamped Ball any more. So I'm not positive they're safe, and the size is not as perfect, only 4 ounces bigger than a pint. I plan to try some, just haven't gotten around to it yet, but I've used the 24-ounce ones, as I have hundreds of them, lol. Will have to figure out a use for the smaller ones if they're not good for canning. :)

12. Gardnpondr

Gardnpondr Well-Known Member

I was reading on this thread and happened to think about something. I bought a bunch of glass jars at the thrift store that is just a bit taller than pint jars are. I THOUGHT the mouth was the same as pint jars but they're just a bit larger and I do mean just a bit. I wanted them for storing things in for my sewing room, not for canning with. Since their was no paper on them I have no idea what came in them. :( I'm needing to find me some lids for them. They're nice square-ish jars. On the bottom side of one of them it has 36 and an inch of space and then it has ZSM. Does anyone have a clue what came in them so I might find replacement lids for them?

13. terri46355

terri46355 Well-Known Member

14. rancher1913

rancher1913 Well-Known Member Supporter

this is moldy - I just had a thought. The next time I hit the thrift stores in the big city, I"m going to take a standard and wide-mouth ring. That way if there are jars, I can tell if they will work for canning or not before buying.

mathchick likes this.
  15. suitcase_sally

suitcase_sally Well-Known Member Supporter

Measure across the opening of those jars and get a size. Jars are measured with a metric scale - Ball regular mouth jars are 70mm and wide mouth jars are 86mm. Go to http://www.fillmorecontainer.com/Lids/ and see if you can find your size. Example: regular canning jar size will be 70 CT ("CT" means continuous thread)

16. Osiris

Osiris Guest

17. McDaid36

McDaid36 Well-Known Member

Suitcase Sally, can these be reused? and also, how do they work - do you just figertip tighten and leave it alone when they come out or should you tighten again upon taking them out of the canner? Thanks!

18. beaglebiz

beaglebiz Wasza polska matka

the shaker top on a parmesean cheese jar will fit a canning jar...nice for flour for gravy, spices etc.

19. Danaus29

Danaus29 Well-Known Member Supporter

Not the Kraft parmesan. I just tossed one and the lid was smaller than the mouth of the jar.

20. beaglebiz

beaglebiz Wasza polska matka

jeepers...i wonder if they changed the size.I have about 6 more in my pantry ..they did that on the small classico pesto jars, went from 12 to 10 oz...from a usable jar that was a nice size for relish or jam, to one that does not take a canning lid (jar is still marked atlas)