which tractor

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by evisr8, Oct 25, 2005.

1. evisr8

evisr8 Member

in a couple years, i will be starting on my 40 acre homestead. on 10-15 acres, i plan on growing corn to be used as biomass for heating. i've been looking at grey market tractors, used US tractors and a new "task master" tractor. what would you recommend? HP? gas or diesel? implements?

2. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

At this point in time, I would not want to depend upon anything made in China with an odd-ball name. They are not very dependable, & have zero resale value. I'm not familiar with that one name, but suspect it might be a China-made?

Grey market from Japan are generally good dependable used tractors, but parts can be a problem. If you must depend on it, waiting 3-4 weeks for parts does _not_ help make your crop! :) USA dealers are _not_ supposed to offer you any help on a grey.... Your choice if the lower cost is worth the decreased value. Maybe, maybe not.

Gas tractors are easy for us backyard mechanics to tinker with; but they require more tinkering. A diesel runs a long long time, & then requires a more proffesional rebuild of the fuel system. Which do you prefer?

Hp, 30 - 80. Depends a little more on what you want to do. The 65 hp tractors are cheaper than the 25-30 hp units, as everyone with 10 acres wants one of the little tractors.....

Implements - always collect more. :) A plow, a disk or field cultivator, a harrow (aka drag), and a planter. Some way to control weeds - sprayer or cultivator.

How will you harvest & store the corn? On the ear, or as kernals - typically you can't get the corn dry enough to store it on the kernal. Corn pickers (on the ear) are fairly cheap, but then you need to shell it to put in your corn burner somehow. A combine is spendy to operate & dry the corn & store it, will be cheaper to just buy dry corn from others.

Well, anyhow the brief version, where do you want to go from here? :)

--->Paul

3. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

I started with an old Ford 8N, and learned some things along the way. Especially when I happened to use some other folks tractors, like a Kubota.

I want 4wd. It's easy to get stuck on my place. It also helps with a loader or snow.

It's never been a lack of power, it's been a lack of traction. I've never stalled the engine, I just spin the tires. Give me a locking differential, 4wd, weight, etc.

I want low and wide. I've lots of slopes, and forever am trying to snake my way under tree limbs and the like. This is completely opposite of what I'd want in a plowing tractor.

Give me good hydraulics, and lots of them! I want to power my impliments. From a front end loader to a log splitter. It's nice to have good hydraulics.

As for names, no strong opinion. Some odd names are supported well, others are not. Rhino and China Diesel both have good parts availability via mail order. Others like India tractor have zero parts availability. Do a little web surfing and you'll find out if it's adequate to you or not.

4. Faith Farm

Faith Farm Well-Known Member

Look in the local classifieds for used farming equipment
    and attend auctions but don't buy. They tend to get pricey
    for some reason but you can learn alot from just talking to
    folks and listening. Tractorbynet.com is a good forum to
    join. I bought a John Deere 2640 diesel with 3500 hours,
    a new 522 FEL for my 95 acre beef farm. I bought the shop
    manuel for doing my own repairs, diesel is not to scarey to
    work on, but I talk to older farmers for serious advice.
    The tractor's motor was just rebuilt by the fella I bought it
    from and I paid $13,000 for tractor with rebuilt motor,FEL
    and free delivery. You can't go wrong with a JD for parts
    or resale value and the power is awsome. Have fun!

5. NWSneaky

NWSneaky Well-Known Member

Look in the used Fords, 800 series, plenty of power (43 and up), three point, gas, easy repair or rebuild and cheap to buy/own.

6. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

Grey's are fine and no your not going to have to wait 4 weeks to gets parts but 1 week for most parts wouldnt be out of line. I would stick with Yanmar or Kubota Grey's as they are most common. Planinging corn doenst require must HP, but how will your harvest. WHile an 8n is a nice tractor I would look for more HP 30-40hp min. That will however throw you out of most grey market tractors.

Chineese tractors are hit or miss on quality (mainly miss). India isnt much better.