Which Table Scraps...

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by seedspreader, Apr 14, 2005.

1. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Ok, I have a bunch of chicken bones from the barbeque tonight. Can I feed these to my pigs? Are there any scraps from the table I should avoid with the pigs?

2. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

It is a personal preference, imo. I fed chicken bones to my pigs a few times and they were fine with them. I fed the offal from butchered chickens and they were fine with those. My wild pigs were pretty healthy and in very good condition. I didn't feed pork to them and generally there was never any beef or other meats to feed to them cause my dogs got those first. I fed everything from shrimp shells to egg shells and they ate them and did well.

3. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Thanks Marcia,

I just went ahead and fed it to them this morning, when I didn't see any answers. Appreciate the response.

4. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

Like Tango said, although I eat the shrimp shells, I don't bother peeling them

5. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Right, wrong or indifferent, I take the attitude that if I can't eat it, nor can my pig and it works pretty well. I don't feed them bones, onion skin, egg shells, tea leaves or bags, coffee grounds, citrus skin (although some pigs will eat it).

There is a good reason for this attitude. A porker not quite ready for killing suddenly started to go backwards and had difficulty in eating and drinking. We killed him before we lost him and close inspection found a broken chicken bone lodged in his throat which effectively stopped most liquid and all solids from going down. The second case wasn't so serious but would have been more prolonged. A porker was obviously very uncomfortable but there didn't appear to be anything outwardly wrong. He was eating and drinking and growing as he should. When he was large enough to kill I noticed something in the gut as it fell out. I dug around until I found it and it was a largish bit of egg shell embedded in the intestine. Both these things had arrived in scraps I picked up from a restaurant despite the fact that I used to go through them before cooking them.

Before feeding table scraps pick out anything that is brittle, sharp or undigestable. Your pig may be a waste disposal unit but isn't fitted with cutter blades.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

6. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

rofl. I have to peel them- it's in my nature I 'spose :) It will be shrimp and broccoli with oyster sauce this evening at my little house on the prairie :) this time my catfish will get the shells since my pigs have moved to other homes. Can't wait to get started with wild pigs again at my new place. This time I hope to purchase some definitvely Russian bloodlines and let them pasture like your pbp. Just talking about pigs makes me miss mine :(

7. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

our pig gets lots stuff, i draw the line at pork scraps for him , and no bones, i have dogs and cats for that,
    but i do feed him eggshells

tea bags, well, when they are herb teas the goats get them , black teas the garden gets

he gets a lot of old milk , water from boiling pasta , potatoes, leftover foods
    when i get stuff cheap of free at the bent and dent store, he gets that too , my neighbors gave me a bunch of unlabeled can goods a week ago, so he has had lots of that lately, from cannedturnip greens to chicken noodle soup a la 8 years old ...

in general , if its meat scraps, the dogs/cats get it, so he mostly gets veggie type scraps ....

8. RedneckPete

RedneckPete Well-Known Member

Why not pork scraps??

I know about hoof and mouth, but what are the chances? I get scraps, how am I to know about the odd piece of bacon or ham?

Are you seriously worried about hoof and mouth?

Pete

9. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Hi Pete,
    It's not so much that pork shouldn't be fed, it's more people's perception of pig eating pig. Mine get the fat off my pork chop or roast, or bacon and ham that has gone rancid. Once it's cooked up it disappears into the soupy mess.

Forgive my ignorance but is F&M a threat in the States? If it is, all scraps that are likely to contain meat should be cooked before feeding to pigs.

Cheers,
    Ronnie