Which Skidsteer?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ross, Feb 20, 2004.

1. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I am thinking I'll replace my litle Bobcat 444 skidsteer. Its a dandy little thing but limited. I want to move 800 lb round bales clean out manure (load into high sided spreaders) , pick stones, move snow, maybe run hydraulic implements, must have a grapple bucket. I like my neighbors 1840 Case but was wondering what anyone would recomend. Diesel is a must. What about add-on tracks? Are the NH/Deere super booms OK?

2. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I have a Case 18 something. 65? Bought it last year. We bought it for feeding silage, but also use it for manure. I am disappointed in it's manure moving capabilities. Won't push that much and the bucket is pretty small...lots of ssslllooowww trips!

I don't even try to get the manure into the spreader with it. I just pile it up and use the tractor loader (JD 7400 with loader) to load with.

I might be spoiled though. The only thing I have to compare with is the tractor loader and it is so big, powerful and easy to use.

Jena

3. horselogger

horselogger Well-Known Member

Look at the Deere line;you'll be impressed,if you can afford them!Lee

4. scorpian5

scorpian5 Well-Known Member

I have a case 1845c and it has plenty of power and big bucket, they are slow compared to the new ones that cost more than a small tractor.

5. Ross

High speed isn't that important, but I'd rather not pile and reload with the loader tractor. That's what the grapple is for to make sure I get a full load with each trip. Cost is a factor and I'm not sure I can find what I want for $7000 but I'll look. Lee is that Deere you like one of the repainted New Hollands? Scissor lift loader arms?

6. horselogger

horselogger Well-Known Member

MOdel jd 260 I rent them to backfill trenchs. You can in a lot of cases actually doze with them . Talk to a Jd dealer or someone who really knows about them,but they aren't a painted New Holland.....

7. Ross

Wow that would be nice and no that's a purebred Deere alright. Earlier Deeres were made by NH and more in my price range. I'm not doing my currency conversion right I can spend about 11,000 USD for a skidsteer not 7k.

8. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Ross, Thomas brand (Canadian built) skidsteers are not too common in some parts of the states and the company keeps trying to introduce them. They sell brand new as lost leaders at many of the Ritchie Bros. auctions. I bought a new one for less than $13000 with 2 buckets. It is 52 hp Kubota powered and can dump over the side of a tandem axle dump truck and the lift capacity is 1700 lbs. The skidsteer weighs 6600 pounds. I seldom have anything new and it is nice to smell the paint burn off something for a change! I have a member of the family that works for Bobcat and the same machine with the employee discounts from them was $18000+. Ritchie Bros has a web site with their auction dates posted, you may want to check them out. They are a good source for attachments also.