Which side for babies?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by mamahen, Jan 18, 2005.

1. mamahen

mamahen Well-Known Member Supporter

Ok, I believe my doe is pregnant, (along with everyone else on the board!!)

I check her every day for changes, but which side is the baby carried on? It sure looks like, or feels like, one on her left side. But I saw somewhere else they are on the right side? :confused:

Also, she "should" be due around Feb. 2. She is in a 10x8 building with 5 hens & the 9 month old buck. Should I move them out? She really could care less if the buck is there. I think she likes the hens better. But he bawls like the baby he is, when I seperate them. ;) Would the hens be a bother?

She is carrying a belly, but she usually does in the winter. However this is carried differently than usually. Also, she looked like she dropped yesterday. But today she looks the same again. No discharge, & a slight udder.

Oh, this is her & my FIRST BABY! :eek: Can you tell? :D

Tricia

2. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

the baby is on the right site. could you make her a corner in the barn all for her own? or i would move the chicken and the bock out of there. chicken are dust producing animals. also could transmit diseases to your goats through their poop. good luck
    susanne

3. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

I hate hens in my barn, but you do what you have to do :) Try to make sure they don't foul her water or roost in her hay, or above her grain and minerals, it's nasty and just plain wasteful. There really isn't anything the chickens can give to the goats, and vic versa, in fact they keep the bedding nice and dry by scratching in it all the time.

I don't think feeling of them is a reliable form of pregnancy detection. Yes I can tell by my does expanding girth that they are bred, but you are right, they would also be this way because of their winter hair, the consumption of more hay and the layer of fat they would get if dry and not milking.

The udder is really our key. A virgin doe would have no reason to have a maturing udder...past perhaps a 2 year old who is unbred and has lengthening teats, but filling out an udder means a bred doe. Unless the buck she shares the pen with is mean, I would not make her or him live alone right now. You have lots of time left, but when her udder is full and you have looked at the fiascofarm.com site and felt her ligiments softening, to where her normally flat rump has big indentations in them that you can put your fingers into and incircle her spine with your fingers...then move the buck to his new home. You don't want him running with her, you don't know how he will react to the new babies, and you don't want the doeling she has bred back on her first heat.

Vicki