which satellite internet

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by ship1of2, Oct 10, 2006.

1. ship1of2

ship1of2 farmer11

I can not get DSL and wonder which satellite is better-Wildbllue or Hughs net?
    I know the the monthly cost is about $10 less for wildblue but how about the service and quality of reception? I see a lot of systems for sale on E-bay. Anyone buy one and use it rather than a new system?

2. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

I am told that Wild Blue is much better than Hughes. I have been trying to get Wild Blue for the past four months but they are not taking any new customers in my geographic area (SW MO). It is always best to put in a new system because often they will tell you that an old system is obsolete and cannot be used with the current signal, which of course is not true, but they sell more satellite dishes that way. :flame:

Eventually, when they reopen my area, I'll be signing up with Wild Blue since my options for broadband are so limited (no cable internet - no DSL).

donsgal

3. Shepherd

Shepherd Well-Known Member

All we can get out here is satelite so we have Hughes.net for our service now. Since I don't have any experience with any other companies, I can't say whether it's better or not. The only problem is if there are storms south of or right on top of us... interferes with our reception.

4. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

Before you decide between the two I suggest looking around for wireless. If it's available I'd grab that. It's much less expensive to set up, not bothered by weather and is faster than satellite. I have it out here in the middle of no where. $100 to set up, $69 for an antenna to get up over the trees that surround me, $40 a month. It's less expensive than what I paid for dial up and a separate phone line. I opted for the antenna even though there is a half-decent signal without it. I need it to be dependable all the time.

5. Bruce in NE

Bruce in NE Well-Known Member

I've had wildblue for 10 months and am generally satisfied with it. The local phone company installs the equipment and they are generally quick to respond if a problem occurs, which isn't often. Would never go back to dialup.

6. Kung

Kung Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Wildblue, by a long shot. I've had all 3, and helped to install all 3. Wildblue is best by far.

7. thequeensblessing

thequeensblessing Well-Known Member

My biggest problem with our Hughesnet is the bandwidth problems. You can't do large downloads at all. It's aggrevating to say the least, but it's either dial-up or satellite and I have over a year left on my 2 year contract. :rolleyes:

8. deaconjim

deaconjim Appalachian American Supporter

We used to have starband. They were slow and hard to reach when you have a problem. Their system went down a year ago for weeks. Messed us up no end.

Wildblue seems to be the best on the market right now.

9. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Well-Known Member Supporter

We have Hughes and it is sooo slow. WildBlue wasn't available when we got Hughes but my neighbor has it (WildBlue) and loves it.

10. popscott

popscott Well-Known Member Supporter

I have not checked into Wild Blue....

But let me put my 2 cents worth in about Hughes...........I pay over $100/mnth for internet/tv through Hughes/DirecTv (all on same dish)

1) Yea, rain of any amount pretty well kills the service (80% strength normally), which is a real pain if you need the pooter to work (say an E-bay item is about to end, or e-mail from someone important).

2) They've stuck a pole in my yard, under a tree, after the leaves had fallen. Guess what happen this spring? It now sits on my deck with a clear south view.

3) My BIGGEST gripe is after 6 or so P.M., the speed reduces drastically.
    http://www.justkiddinfarm.com/hughes.jpg
    The above link shows the results of some of my speed test run for my system back to the hughes.net website download test
    The date: and the 82/16 kbps values mean I was getting a 82 kbps download and 16 upload speeds, which is not any better than dialup. At $59.00 a month I expect a LOT better. They said they guarantee at least a 200 kbps download, but it goes right over their heads when I tell them its is way less than that?.
    Any other time of the day it really works pretty well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm guessing that it is the internet, itself, getting loaded down as everyone starts logging on in the evenings.

Thanks in advance,
    Scott
    http://www.justkiddinfarm.com/