which is the best hay

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Ddunk1026, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Ddunk1026

Ddunk1026 Active Member

What kind of hay is the best timothy or alfalfa? and how much should i give

2. Tiffann4k

Tiffann4k Well-Known Member

In my opinion Timothy, alfalfa has too much protein.

I free feed hay to my rabbits :)

3. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

100% agreement here. Pellets are alfalfa. More is too much. Timothy is perfect for my angoras, and they get all they want. Hay racks stay full.

Meg

4. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

I made mangers for all my cages and I refill as soon as they eat whats in it ,,

,, useually the "hays" available around here are referred to as ,, fescue ,, rye ,, orchard ,, mixed grass ,, and alfalfa ,, I don't believe I've ever saw timothy hay at the feed store (s) ,, most hays runs $3.50 a bale normally

( the $ of alfalfa varies as to the cutting/quality) last year ,, I got the first cutting of the spring for $2.50 a bale ,, last cutting I bought was $4.75 a bale ,,

I give regular " hay" to bucks 24/7/365 ,, they don't need to get fat ,, and non-working/nurseing does the same ,, I just occasionally give the bucks a handful of alfalfa as a treat ,, lol I got 1 buck that would rather have wheat straw than alfalfa as a treat :haha:

when alfalfa is avalable here ,, I feed alfalfa to the does after she gives birth ,, till I wean the babies ,, then she goes back to reg hay ,, my reasoning for feeding the does alfalfa is hoping the alfalfa makes the does milk richer :D quicker growing kits ?? also thinking that it will help her not lose condition while nurseing ,,,,

same with feeding alfalfa to the fryers ,, since I am lucky enough to be able to buy alfalfa for the same $ as regular hay I feed the alfalfa to the fryers hoping they'll gain weight better ,,